Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Luthier's near Atlanta?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greg Johnsen, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Does anyone know any luthiers near Atlanta? I live in the suburbs and if I ever start to make a bass, I might need help from someone close by, and a place where I might be able to use tools...

Greg

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Yeh, Hambone's just South of Atlanta.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I doubt you're going to find a lot of luthiers willing to just let someone they hardly know use their tools (esp. in this lawsuit happy world), Hambone *MIGHT* be an exception to this since he's always so helpfull around here, but I wouldn't think so.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

yep that's a fact. For some reason I didn't get much past Luthier in the Atlanta area to make a bass. Don't really know how his ankles doing either. Even under normal circumstances, anything approaching an imposition is less than ideal to begin with.

5. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    hambone emailed me and told me that there are about 12 TBers in atlanta, which is pretty cool.

thanks for the help!

Greg

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    LOL. With Hambone, that's subject to a pretty broad range of interpretation :- )

But probably more receptive than if he'd said there are about 12 Luthiers in Atlanta!

7. Hell, there ain't even a "L U T H I E R" in my own shop! :D

Just ask Rick

8. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    i'm with hambone -- live in atlanta, build basses, wouldn't dream of calling myself a luthier.

9. Crap Sky, I forgot about you cuz you've been so quiet for so long! Where ya been? Is the shop up and running yet? With a floor even?? :D

10. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    shop is almost done -- i just have to paint the outside next free weekend i get. but all the tools are there and (somewhat) set up. i think we'll have a celebration/grand opening in the next month or two and we'll have you over to see!

i just finished a 1x12 speaker cab and a rack enclosure, and i'm really jonesing to get back to working on my next bass. the design's been done for a year, and i've procured everything except the pickups. the neck blank has been glued up for a little over a year and a half, so i suppose it's as stable as it'll ever be!

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For the record: this was just a joke. In case there may have been any other perceptions to the contrary that I wasn't aware of.

12. senrats

senrats

Apr 1, 2006
    Roswell, GA
    Can someone list the phone numbers of folks in or north of Atlanta?
    I need some minor work done soon I think.

Thanks!