Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Luthiers: Novax Frets with BFTS?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tsal, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    There is another thread concerning both Novax and Feiten Systems here, but what I'd like to know is that has any of our guest luthiers ever thought about combining these two?

I find this question pretty interesting for the future of fretted bass, as bass construction is developing beyond where guitar has been for centuries. Bass' one-note-at-the-time-style playing allows more asymmetrical construction on the fretboard. Even the chordal approach on bass is still quite simple, (using usually only two or three fretted notes) so it can be handeled even on as difficult fretboard as Novax System offers.

So, the benefits would be clear: the string eveness of Novax Frets and the more natural tone of BFTS combined would probably be the way bass frets would be laid in future.

And also, hasen't anyone been using Novax idea on fretless basses? The construction would be simple really, only the fretboard, the nut and the bridge would have to be angled, without any precise fanned fret installation required, but the benefits would be the same as with frets. Most fretless players use their ears to navigate anyways, so not even fretlines would not be needed.

I'm interested very to hear what our crafting professionals have to say about these ideas.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    That just isn't the case. If you are playing three fretted notes that in the upper register, the Novax system makes it almost impossible. I played some of my stuff for Sheldon Dingwall and he said that the Novax system just doesn't fit the stlye

Mike Dimin, author
    The Chordal Approach

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think I remeber seeing a fretless bass on Novax's website.

Peace
    Nick

4. Hi:
    I have spoken to Mr Dingwall in the past, about this very subject and he mentioned he has built a few fretless basses w/ the novax fretboard. So it can be done. As Mr Dimin has pointed out playing in the upper register is supposedly difficult, so the question is really playability.
    Guess we'll find out in the future
    frank

5. I guess chordal playing on a Novax instrument would be related to the extent of the fanning. Conklin does a 34/35in scale fan, that doesn't get that sloped even n the upper register. I myself have no real problems chording on my Dingwall. It could be because I have been playing it exclusively for 2 years. I am sure that this is easier on a non-fanned fretboard.

Geoff