1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Luthiers/Shops in Georgia or Atlanta?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mebusdriver, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Hey TB. I'm looking to purchase a DB. I've searched, and searched, and searched and I can't find a shop that sells DB's in GA. I've found a few private shops that do rentals for students but not anyone that will sell me anything better than the $600 basses you guys warn everyone about. Anybody have a suggestion about where to buy/look for a bass? Thanks!

2. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    There are a couple of shops in NC, the bass cellar in Greensboro probably has the most stuff in stock. We had a guy looking to get some work done in that part of GA on TB recently and he seemed to have a hard time finding someone good (he had a bad outcome). I'm beginning to think that GA is something of a DB desert.

3. Ron Sachs has a very well thought of shop in Lilburn, Emile Baran has a shop in Decatur, I think now called Decatur Music, which has a very mixed reputation, Atlanta Violins and Roswell Violins have a few basses from time to time, and I understand Stephanie Voss has opened a store. Tom Thoreson, who plays with the Atlanta Symphony does repairs, so he may know of someone trying to sell. Eduard Swetlowski is luthier, and has some basses in his shop. Good hunting!

4. Nothing South of the City, but Ron Sachs in Lilburn has a good reputation, Emile Baran in Decatur sells basses but has very mixed reviews, Eduard Swetlowski is a luthier who probably has a few basses in his shop or know of someone who's selling, as does Tom Thoreson who plays with the ASO and has a shop in the NE part of town. I understand Stephanie Voss has just opened a sore front. I'd call Atlanta Violins and Roswell Violins, too. Good hunting!

5. Thanks a ton Bullhead.