1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. Because Photobucket has chosen to in effect "take down" everyone's photos (unless you pay them), we have extended post edit time in the Luthier's Corner to UNLIMITED.  If you used photobucket and happen to still have your images of builds, you can go back and fix as many of your posts as far back as you wish.

Note that TalkBass will host unlimited attachments for you, all the time, for free ;)  Just hit that "Upload a File" button.  You are also free to use our Media Gallery if you want a place to create albums, organize photos, etc :)

Luthiers: should I stain my walnut before finishing?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Saint, May 18, 2002.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I would greatly appreciate some advice on finishing my walnut bass body. Although I have some experience finishing basses, I have never worked with walnut before.

I am trying to achieve a very natural look with this bas and am currently planning to use a simple tung oil finish on the walnut body. However, I am unsure whether the oil alone on the wood will give me the deep tone I want.

My question is: in building your basses, do you stain walnut before finishing with oil or sealing with varnish, urethane, etc.? Also, if I should be staining, what type of stain (water, alcohol, oil based) and technique would you recommend I use?

Thanks.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Don't stain the walnut. If you need to convince yourself, take a piece of scrap and rub some oil into it. Walnut just shines when it gets some oil into it. Beautiful.

3. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    A touch of yellow or amber can warm up walnut, enhancing the brown-ness of it. Go easy and test on scrap.

4. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Greg is wrong!!!!!! :D Just joking Greg!

Walnut is one of my favorite woods. It is my favorite to watch come to life when you apply a finish.

Always test on scrap first when you are experimenting.

Darrin

5. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    stain walnut!!!!! :eek:

sacrilege!! :mad:

dave p.