1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Luthiers who build your custom shape?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Colonel_Claypoo, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    hi everybody,

i'm looking for luthiers who build basses after a drawing or cad layout.

every luthier i've come across seems to build their shapes only.

i'm not sure about stambaugh basses though.

i hope this question doesn't seem stupid and i'd be grateful if you could help me out.

thanks!:hyper:

2. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    wishbass..:bag:

3. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Are wishbasses actually still being made or has he sold the company now?

4. All mine so far have been totally individual, custom shapes drawn up for individual tastes, i dont think its a particularly long or difficult part of the process. But then i make mine totally by hand and dont own any labour saving industrial machines e.t.c

5. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
  6. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
  7. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Bud Lecompte will, I think. So will DP custom, if he's still making basses.

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Magnus Krempel at www.magnusguitars.de is excellent. he is a very nice, competent and humble guy who won't F... you about.
    He has also made me a couple of instruments ( my current main bass amongst them).
    Highly recommended!!!:hyper:

9. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
  10. ciubz

ciubz

Jan 30, 2005
  11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Basslab. Cliff Bordwell.

12. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    cliff bordwell doesn't do custom shapes i thought?

13. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    many luthiers will do custom shapes, but most customers are not willing to pay the price that accompanies this enormous quantity of work. there's a lot more to it than simply scribbling a spline onto a piece of wood and cutting it out ;)

I've also seen customers who can visualize something in their head that is very unlike the reality of the sketch they provided to their luthier ... and when the physical bass body is presented, numerous change requests are made before the design is accepted for commissioning. on average I'd say it takes somewhere between three and seven versions of a body before getting it to that place that the customer visualized but couldn't draw

because of the large time investment involved in creating a totally new dsign, most luthers have developed a trade-off/compromise solution - many customizable features on several body designs that customers can choose from

all the best,

R

14. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    That's exactly what Chris Stambaugh did for me...built a bass from a full-scale drawing.

15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Chris Stambaugh also built me a bass that started with my hand drawn sketch. We traded drawings back and forth a couple times before he ultimately built it. I couldn't be happier with the result.

His original bodyshapes are fantastic, but he'll pretty much build whatever you want. Check out jordanm's flying V or the Space Bass (based on Bootsy's) that he did not too long ago.

16. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Bud LeCompte will do this. He built me a headles 6 string from a sketch that I provided him with after a few tweaks and refinements it resulted in a beautiful instrument that FAR exceeded my expectations. The bass is in his Special Projects gallery on his website.

17. Chris Stambaugh did a perfect job for me. Matching my sketch :)

DoublecutDesign4002. DSCN089555555555.

BeavDesign2.
    DSCN3142.