1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Lyle 5120 Hollow Body

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by keating78, Dec 6, 2020.

1. keating78

keating78

Jun 2, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    Price:
    $500
    Strings:
    United States
    Front.JPG

History

I purchased this approximately one year ago from a person who purchased the bass from it's original owner when they were in college in the late 60's. The person I bought it from intended to learn bass but it never stuck for him. Instead, the bass became a wall item in his office from the 70's to present.

I bought it to fill the short scale/hollow body niche in my collection, but realized I just don't have the space nor work anymore to keep hanging on to it. If I was still doing a lot of demo work or singer-songwriter projects it would not be for sale.

Description

Late 60's Lyle 5120 Short Scale Hollowbody made in Japan at the Matsumoku factory. Similar versions were made for Epiphone, Aria, and a few others. Vintage radius, thin jazz-style neck with some depth (D-shape?), and low frets with no observable wear. Works and sounds great with full access to all the coveted hollow body tones. Does not come with a case.

What makes this one special?

This bass is 100% original, including the string mutes, and rosewood tailpiece cover - both of these items are commonly missing. It absolutely nails the hollow body sound that is great for Americana, Indie, and singer/songwriter projects. This is not a modern sounding bass nor ideal for slap styles and would likely not be a good fit as a player's sole axe.

Condition

Everything works great and is set up for immediate use. Has had a full set up for La Bella Flat Wounds from a local luthier who added a neck shim for low action and accurate intonation (that is common for these basses; please see pictures.) There are some light scratches on the back and some of the body binding was lightly cracked but glued by the luthier for longevity. Does not come with a case.

Price

$600 plus buyer pays shipping. Will be packed and shipped consciously and safely!

Attached Files:

ctmullins and Dee-man like this.
  2. keating78

keating78

Jun 2, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    Price Drop to $500!
    Happy to answer any questions

3. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    I have the Aria version of this bass and they are fantastic. If anyone is looking for an old-school hollowbody tone, look no further! GLWTS

keating78 likes this.
  4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Do you have it listed on reverb as well?

5. keating78

keating78

Jun 2, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    I do/did! It actually just sold to a local buyer today.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021