For Sale Lyle short scale bass made in Japan

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by sonicblue62, Oct 1, 2021.

1. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    This is a cool little bass that I picked up locally a couple of years ago, and I would probably keep it if I hadn't just bought a vintage Gibson. Nice playability and short scale thump. I had a 70's Fender Musicmaster a while back, and this significantly outperformed it in terms of output volume.
    I'm guessing it's from the late 60's or early 70's. For what it's worth, My sister has a bass nearly identical to this, but branded "Venture" on the headstock. I don't know if that indicates anything about its factory of origen (Fujigen, Matsumoko, etc), but that is all I know about it.
    Strung with LaBella short scale flats. Bridge cover has foam glued underneath. There is a bit of buzz on the 11th and 12th frets ( mostly on the G string) but you really don't hear it when amplified. Overall it's a great bass with a really nice, old-school tone. Weighs 8 lbs 11 ozs.
    No case, will ship in a gig bag with plenty of foam and bubble wrap.
    $325 shipped, $350 eastern half of the country.
    I don't have anything specific in mind trade-wise, but feel free to PM any offers. Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  2. KJMO

KJMO Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Wow, that is exactly my first bass. Odd that I bought it used in Boise (1980?), and you're in Twin. Some store must have sold them locally back in the day. Oh, and it is a cool bass!

Obese Chess likes this.
  3. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Maybe it IS your first bass. :bassist:

In the early 90's, I used to see so many of these Teisco-type basses and guitars in pawnshops in Idaho Falls, near where I grew up. They were always super cheap. In retrospect, I should have been buying them up with my teenage lawn-mowing money and sticking them under the bed. :)

4. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Played one of these on a session in Portland a few years ago, looked almost exactly like this one. Must have been a local drop of them somewhere back in the day!

sonicblue62 likes this.
  5. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    Very Very Cool. Reminds me of my 1st bass. It was a Tiesco

sonicblue62 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022