1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lyle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plenny, Dec 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Plenny

Plenny Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Been reading this site for quite some time now, enough to realize you're all a bit mad, so I hope to fit right in. Has anyone seen a Lyle like this? Had it for around 20 years now and can't find another like it. A cool bass but for the neck dive. Thanks for any info

Attached Files:

BazzaBass likes this.
  2. Neck-through suggests highest quality, shape suggests part of the Lotus/Vantage/Aria CSB crowd. Provenance probably is post-lawsuit.

TinIndian, MYLOWFREQ and JIO like this.
  3. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    S.D.Curlee immediately comes to mind.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'd forgotten about those, but the OP's ax sure does look like a curlee.

5. So . . . . . (wait for it . . . .), if you're really crazy about this rare bird, is it a Lyle Love It ?

Plenny and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  6. Or is it a Curlee, Larry, and Moe? (Actually, compared to this Lyle, all the Curlees I've seen are quite primitive in build.)

gebass6 likes this.
  7. snarebear

snarebear

Apr 19, 2012
    I had a Vantage identical to this about 30 or so years ago. Nice bass, but heavy.

8. Plenny

Plenny Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Can't tell you how many times the search engine came up with him!

9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Lyle was an import brand owned by Oregon's L.D. Heater Music Company (itself owned by Norlin Corp.). Most, but not necessarily all, Lyles were made by Matsumoku in Japan, up into the late '70s. At any rate, this is a model not often seen. It looks like the pickup may have been replaced, with a perfunctory plastic frame added to hide the original routing for a Precision-style split pickup.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  10. Okay; the Tutmarc Audiovox basses were advertised in Heater catalogs back in the day. Anybody care to play Six Degrees of Separation between Audiovox and Lyle?

HaphAsSard likes this.
  11. Plenny

Plenny Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback:TB is great! It's currently in the shop with a crack in the headtstock, and my SR800 is there as well getting a heart transplant (active Bartolinis to passive Dimarzios). Need (more) Beer!