lynard skynard tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by crazy1, Sep 18, 2002.

1. crazy1

Feb 6, 2002
    Can anyone here direct me to a correct tab for Gimme Three Steps for Lynard Skynard? All I have come up with is one for the intro. only and it is not correct. Thanks!

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Good Luck. I looked for tab for a few Skynard tunes and found zilch. Good Concise Bass tab is almost non-existent on the WEB. Of course alot of the Guitar tab is not complete either. Free exchange of ideas I guess .
    If you're in 440 A tuning, or standard concert pitch, 3 steps is in D. It is major primarily except for the country style slurs that intermittently appear throughout the recording. When you lack the tab, Play with the song...over and over until you figure it out. (I am assuming you are a beginner or intermittent) As you play with recordings to learn your favorite tunes, you develope a sense of how a certain song is arranged. That speeds the process, but only after sticking with it and recognizing the patterns of pop-song-ology. It takes time. But in a few years, and after some good instruction you'll be toolin' down the road and a song will come on the CD/ or radio and you'll hear the arrangement in you head and play it the minute you pick up your instrument. But you've gotta stick with it.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, when searching on the Web it helps to know the correct spelling of the group's name - so Lynyrd Skynyrd are famous for having no vowels in their name - that's why I remember it! ;)
  4. crazy1

Feb 6, 2002
    P.Aaron, thanks for the info. I have been playing for a year now and do most of my playing by ear. My husband is a great guitar player and helps me some, but he hears guitar where I hear the bass. I learned the notes in one night and was playing a couple songs the same night. I have great luck learning by ear, but with this song, the bass is completely different than guitar so it is a little harder for me. I am working on One right now by creed and having better luck with it. Thanks for the input.

5. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
  6. swr

Apr 12, 2000
  7. crazy1

Feb 6, 2002
    Thank you for the tab. Can you tell me how to read it now. I am not used to so many lines.

8. I will send this to anyone who requests the tab for printing.
    My profile e-mail is active.

Print it out.
    Break it up into sections.
    The first 3 rows are the Intro, get that down first.
    Then the next section, one section at a time.

/ = slide
    H = Hammer on
    2/4 = slide from 2 to 4
    2H4 = play 2 hammer-on 4

Otherwise I made it straight forward and omitted some ghost notes to avoid confusion.

I spent alot of time transcribing it from sheet music note for note because I thought there was a need here at Talkbass to share the correct tab.

A lot of lines? A lot of work on my part,
    and requires a little work to learn.
    I only write tab for those that request it at Talkbass and if I'm in the mood to bother.

Gimme Three Step is a "Lead" Bass song.
    This classic (I feel) is a must learn.

The Bass is the beat, melody, and the vocal lines follow it.

Play along with the recording and everything will become self-evident. only has the Intro to
    Gimme Three Steps