Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lyptus wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Nov 4, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have access to some and was wondering about using it in laminated necks. Anybody have experience with it? ...........t

2. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    How about using Lyptus as a body wood? Anybody had any experience with it? Tonal qualities?

Oog

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You're speaking about eucalyptus, right? Does it hurt to write the first four letters? :rolleyes:

I think I've seen someone build a neck-through bass with eucalyptus laminates... maybe it was on http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php? ...

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida

Nope just lyptus. Different wood.. :D ...t

5. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

It's incredibly painful, yes. :rollno:

Once again, how does it rate for use as a body wood? It seems comparable to mahogany in weight......thanks for any HELPFUL replies.

Oog

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Sorry but I haven't tried it yet....t

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    No, we're not just being lazy. It's a particular, patented IIRC, crossbreed of the eucalyptus family, grown by certain controlled methods. Check the referenced web pages.

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    IMO, it's just "branding" and marketing. The crossbreed of eucalyptus trees, and they stick the name Lyptus and a TM to it :rolleyes: pathetic.

9. parttimeluthier

parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    Actually theres alot more to it than that. Lyptus is more than "just" a hybrid of Eucalyptus trees. The hybrids were selected especially for grain consistency, hardness and dimensional stability.
    Also Lyptus is plantation grown in South America and uses special strict harvesting and drying procedures to ensure a consistent hardwood.
    Most eucalyptus used in the past was grown in Australia or south Pacific and is not considered to be very stable or especially hard. Hence it was generally used in non-critical areas such as fence posts etc. This new wood is a whole different animal so to speak.
    I was at the AWFS woodworking convention two months ago here in Las Vegas as I work for a local closet and garage cabinet company. Weyerhaeuser who distributes Lyptus had a booth there with a baseball bat made out of Lyptus. It really gave me a good perspective when I hefted that bat; it was alot heavier and more dense than any white ash or hickory bat I have ever felt.
    Basically what you have in Lyptus is a wood about as hard as Maple, Heavier than most Oak or White Ash, but with a grain very similar to Mahogany. Pretty cool in my opinion.

10. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Now thats a helpful response. Thanks.

Oog

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Then I was wrong.
    At least you knew better and corrected it.