Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lyrics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tommo, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Does anyone know how to right good lyrics for metal/rock music?

Ive just joined a knew band, and we somehow managed to right a couple of songs, we asked the singer to write some lyrics but he couldnt.

So now were stuck, please can someone help me!!:bawl:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Collect notes of words and bits of sentences with the help of a small notepad that you carry with you everywhere. Record cool words, pictures etc. you hear or that come into your head when you see something, or someone.
    And if you've got enough material you can make lyrics out of all the bits and pieces.

It's something you have to practice. You'll probably have to trash 90% of what you write, unless you're a natural.

3. Nice one ill give it a go, sounds cool:cool:

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

MiSc off we go.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Try this:
    Sit down, and start writing when something makes you feel a certain way: angry, sad, puzzled, whatever. Then, write. Write whatever comes, no matter how trite sounding or how awkwardly it might be worded. Write three pages of that if you have to. Then, when the thought or emotion has run dry, look back, and cull what you think works best for the song, what congeals.

I don't know if it works. I don't use that method. But, try it anyway, see if it works.

6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I always write the music first, then I sit there and play it until a melody comes in my head. Then however the music makes me feel, I write words that fit the melody and reflect my feelings. I actually only throw out about 10-15% of my stuff. I guess I'm a natural.

Dirk

7. Tommo,

WHATEVER you write, it should come from the heart. Everything else is a waste of time.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or unwise. Even the best throw out more than they keep.

9. The great German composer Johannes Brahms is reported to have burned half of everything he wrote.

For us regular mortals, I like the rule of 10%. But first, let me digress.......

In a coversation between two famed SF writers Issac Asimov and Theodore Sturgeon, Sturgeon said, " 90% of SF is crap." To which Asimov replied, "90% of main stream literature is crap."

That leaves only 10%, hence my rule.

10. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Maybe you guys are right. Everyone likes their own flavor, and I guess since I'm not in a band or working w/ a producer or anything my bad ideas aren't being vetoed by more discerning ears. Alot more may be gone later, since I'm relatively new to the songwriting/composition world. Thanks for the advice guys, even though I wasn't the one who asked for it.

Dirk

11. VinnyP666

VinnyP666

Aug 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    write what u feel, or else it is meaningless. Many bands ( metal bands ) use complicated dictionary words that only sound cool. Anyone can write a song using a dictionary. dont just use meaningless ideas, even though they will come.

all i can say id write about SOMETHING.