1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mætbœx: If you have to ask...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EricssonB, Aug 14, 2012.

1. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    After spending hours searching the Infranets for a board layout to build it, I've concluded that the only way to get a copy of the Meatbox is to translate the schematics to boards and do it myself. Many threads have people saying "I'll do it!" over the years. None have posted results for the community.

After building two copies each of the first three of the Bœx series (sorry, iPhone TB app users, the "œ" doesn't show up) I'm frankly burnt out on building this stuff! I just took 25 days of holiday from work and will be packing up and moving until I turn in the keys to this place at the end of August -- I will not have time to develop for about a month! But to those interested and those who have expressed interest to me through PMs please, be patient.

...unless you've got great sums of cash ... well in that case, just go buy an original.

Although they're not technically completed, the circuits are built, wired up and are waiting for me to finish up drilling and painting the enclosures. But in case you missed them:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/sp%E6kerb%9Cx-27-2hz-high-pass-filter-896616/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/f%E6pb%9Cx-ii-2-band-preamp-903852/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/f%E6pb%9Cx-iii-3-band-preamp-901439/

E2DE6D6A-7647-44A3-8975-F0F2DB1FD6DB-18820-00000B88DFC1F874.

2. The big problem with cloning the Meatbox is the particular chip it uses. I believe it's either really rare or completely discontinued. There are probably ways to get something similar by replacing its various functions with different chips, but it would increase the cost and complexity of the build. That, and it's not specified how it actually detects the frequency.

If you are interested in trying to find one (or approximate with other parts), the chip is a M51134P/FP.

EDIT: Scratch that first part, it looks like the chip is still available. I'd like to figure out how the frequency detector works though.

3. Rawrrbass

Rawrrbass

Mar 19, 2011
    Denver, CO
  4. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Yeah I've found a supply of them, and was kinda relieved. Goes for what, $10-15? I can do that.

As far as the complexity goes, even as-is, I'm not looking forward to it. I'd rather hit up my home studio and finish my album that dates back to 2006. The two preamps are already going to be a huge benefit to the recording, which is the next step.

I somewhat see it as a duty to fellow TBers. Been so beneficial to me since I joined last year, that I'd love to give back by posting designs to a somewhat-coveted pedal clone for those able to build. Maybe build a few to sell at price.

5. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
  6. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    its goop

7. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Haha! Best video I've seen in ages! iPhone was like nah brah.