1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ménière's disease...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pflash4001, Mar 8, 2013.

1. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Does anyone here have to deal with this? I've been having lots of issues with vertigo and nausea. I've been vomiting almost every morning this week because of it and have been afraid to drive because of it. I've missed an excessive amount of work and its hurting financially. I am beyond frustrated with my situation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    See Arthritic Tom's epic threads in Humour.

(I'd not heard of it before he started talking about his experiences.)

3. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'm sorry to hear about your condition. I have also only recently become aware of it through Tom's threads.

+1

If nothing else they'll give you something to read for a few days or a week. Easily the most interesting threads here.

4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    My wife was diagnosed with Ménière's disease a few years back. Horrendous. PM me if you want to talk.

5. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Thanks, guys. This issue has really got me in a funk and I'm worried about a lot of things...money, home, work, etc. this really has me down...Titus, I will contact you soon.

6. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    I've learned to cope with the hearing issue. It's the nausea and vertigo that is keeping me from work that has me really worried. This is really hurting my family financially. That's causing more stress and frustration. My wife is great, but I don't want to worry her any more than she already is.

7. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about this.

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've dealt with a few bouts of benign paroxymal positional vertigo (my left ear is constantly problematic), and my sister has had recurring bouts of vertigo that are at times quite severe, at times requiring hospitalization, I am so sorry to read about this and hope you find relief and a consistent way to manage this.

9. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Thanks for those comments. I just want to stabilize it so I can provide for my family. My job is not secure right now, finances are tight, my family's worried, I'm worried. This is wearing me down...

10. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Is it okay of I pray for you and your family?

11. Dana White (president of the UFC) has it and just had some experimental surgery and says that the symptoms are now gone. You might want to look into that.

lowsound

12. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Cool...did it fix the hearing issues too? Slobake, prayers would be greatly appreciated...

13. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    I watched a video of the surgery, but they didn't describe much about what was actually done. Has anyone read anything about the treatment?

14. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    That is no joke.. I was out of work for 3 months from September to November because of it.. I would not wish that on my worse enemy.. I would rather have a broken limb. Projectile vomiting.. lack of rest when it is really bad.. because it will wake you up if you have an attack while sleeping.. I was crawling to the bathroom for the first week.

15. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    I know. I've had periodic episodes for almost a year of about 1-2 weeks duration each. I woke up and ended up with my head in the toilet 2 minutes later every morning this week and about 4 days last week. It sucks @$$. The problem for me is that I'm a teacher and I've only been with this school system since August. I have to have been with them for a year to declare FMLA. Unfortunately, as much as I've tried, I've been out so long that it has affected my kids' performance. And I'm not protected by FMLA. I very well may not have a contract renewal at the end of the year, that scares the crap out of me for my family. It's gotten me so stressed out and worried and that doesn't help matters either.

16. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    That is terrible.. I haven't had the vomiting since September.. but I am lightheaded every morning.. than once I get going it evens out.. Ironically I had an episode this morning.. I had to take my activert and just lay down .. I am just now starting to pop up.. This was the first time I was actually dizzy in a while.. usually I just have balance issues..

17. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Yeah, but those balance issues make me leery about driving sometimes...