Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

M^2 by Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JMX, Apr 30, 2001.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I bought this one today.
    Highly recommended.
    Great versions of Good-bye Pork Pie Head and Burning Down The House (Talking Heads!!) and of course lots of original with the unique Miller groove (pat. pend. ;-)

Anyone else heard this one yet?

2. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    JMX,

Is that a new one?

I've got The Sun Don't Lie and the live one. Both are incredible.

3. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's brandnew.
    Marcus will be on the next Bassplayer cover.

Hint: Try to get hold of 'Tales', his last studio album before M^2 - it's even better than 'The Sun Don't Lie' IMO

4. I'm a big Marcus fan. The record won't be coming out till May 22 in the U.S. Guess I'll just have to wait another three weeks. I've heard sample clips of "Lonnie's Lament" and his version of "Red Baron." Looks like his fans won't be disappointed!

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Damn it, I was all ready to leave work and go buy it. Now I need another excuse to get out of here.:D

6. I don't mean to rain on the Marcus parade (I, too, love his sound, playing taste, and chops), but I have his studio album with the slapped version of a Jaco tune (it's either Tales or The Sun Don't Lie, I forget), and can't stand the cheesy '80's-style keyboard parts all over the place.

Does the new album have the keyboards everywhere too?

I have a couple of David Sanborn albums with Marcus on them that I like much better than the Marcus solo albums. . .

Just my 2 cents.

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, finally an album that hits the stores in Europe earlier than in the U.S.
    In most cases WE have to wait...

J, the sound hasn't changed much since Tales, so you'll have to suffer the samples and synth drums, sorry.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hey! I like those keyboard sounds :)

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...synth drums?! Caramba!
    (Maybe I'll pass on this one...).

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I go this one this weekend. I can't stop listening to it. Marcus is soooooo bad! Highly recommended by me, as well.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Great CD from a technical standpoint. There is a pretty good amount of diversity on it which is keeping me interested. Some of the music borders on that smooth jazz feel, which I'm not partial too. Funny thing is, I prefer when he doesn't slap, I just love his sound most then.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    C'mon man, you don't like to cook breakfast on Sunday morning to the sound of "The Sun Don't Lie"? In all seriousness, I can see that, but Marcus Miller has always been my exception to that rule of no "smooth/light" jazz, mainly because he doesn't get too "smooth".

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'll definitely have to try your recommendation of "The Sun Don't Lie" on Sunday morning! :) :)

There are like two or three songs that kind of have that Rick Braun, Wayman Tisdale, Jeff Golub feel. Which is cool, but a little to "smoove" for me to really get into.

Of course, he's still Marcus, and Marcus is the man.

14. ckonthe1

ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    love this cd...M2!!! I was over in Japan recently and picked it up! WHOO HOO!!!!
    Funky stuff man!!!! I dig "Burnin' Down the House" and the version of "Red Baron" is
    great!

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not to start a flame war, BUT-
    My copy of M-Squared finally arrived; my intial impression? Far worse than I imagined; MM's bass playing is intact, it's the incessant & totally STATIC/programmed percussion tracks...sorry if I sound like an old fart, I'm over 'em(FWIW, I didn't like 'em back when they were 'the rage' in the '80s, either{I was only 25 then}). ;)
    I don't care how "good" a programmer does his gig, there's absolutely no interaction...the musicians are "slaves" to the sequence(& IMHO, the percussion programming on M-Squared was a little too predictable...must the snare sound on every 2 & 4?).
    I'm sorry, I expect a whole lot more outta MM(if this was a Wayman Tisdale album, I could "see it").
    The track with James Carter is "OK"; if you wanna hear more of him in a Jazz-Funk setting, check out Layin' In The Cut(Tacuma & Grant Calvin Wesley are the rhythm section).

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I thought I was the only one that kept thinking, "Is this Wayman?!" Seriously. I was expecting Jeff Golub to show up.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't this a bit cruel to Lester Young - wasn't it just his hat that was shaped like a pork-pie? ;)

I am still undecided about whether to buy this album - I mean there have been features everywhere about him in magazines and the CD keeps staring at me everytime I go to Borders Jazz section!

I am worried by what JimK says - I was a bit disappointed by "Tales" for the same reason and although it has some phenomenal bass playing, I just don't listen to it now.

It seems that MM has got locked into this R&B studio production "vibe" and can't escape - it would be nice to hear him in a Jazz small group setting, like Christian McBride.

18. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Bruce, when you already own Tales, you don't have to buy it.

I found Tales to be the better and deeper album, so M^2 may be not for you.

19. ckonthe1

ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That's cool! There's probably a lot of
    cd's that I don't care for. Marcus just happens to be one of my favorites. He plays better
    than I do too, so I can't get on his case too bad! hahahaha!

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...it ain't about MM's bass playin; it's the music! ;)
    Considering MM's musicianship, the material should be more challenging(IMHO).

"Goodbye Porkpie Hat" is "OK"; as far as remakes go, I definitley prefer Joni Mitchell's version. Jeff Beck & Andy Summers also do a good job at covering this Mingus classic...it's that haunting melody, perhaps?

Question for those who really like M-Squared-
    ...how do you rate something like, say, Gary Willis' Bent? More enjoyable, less enjoyable, indifferent, played it once, blahblah? ;)