Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

M-2000 noisy graphic EQ on FET channel?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unlined4string, Mar 2, 2004.

1. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    This is a question for M-2000 users. I recently acquired a NOS M-2000, and I'm very happy with it except for one thing.

The graphic EQ on the FET channel increases the noise floor by a small but noticeable amount when switched in, even if set flat. The tube channel does this also, but the hum is not nearly as loud (both channels set to comparable volume). The level of hum in the FET channel when the graphic EQ is switched in is such that it would not be usable for recording.

I had it checked out by Professional Technical Service in Wheaton Md. They agreed it's noisy, but could not find any evidence of a problem. ProTech talked with Mesa, but nothing conclusive came out of it. Mesa suggested I ship it to them for service. They also said there are several different revs of this amp, for what that's worth.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this issue is inherent in the design of the M-2000?

Thanks!

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Nope, there is something wrong. Mine adds nothing when I turn it on, flat or not. Send it in.

3. I second that motion.

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I triple that motion :p

No prob with the EQ of my M2000

5. Mine is clean as well. Good luck, I love this amp.

6. unlined4string

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    Thanks to all who responded. I spoke with Mesa service today. They gave me an RMA. The hum is apparently not normal.

7. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Im having problems with Grounding issues when I use my DBX EQ and Compressor.. But I also get noise through my FET channel without any other equipment.. I never remembered getting that noise before hooking that DBX equipment up, but I also haven't played out of the FET channel in a while..

Im speaking with Mesa about both problems and im being told it may have to goto a TECH..

But this problem does not change my LOVE for Mesa Gear.. Im actually dissappointed that I did not purchase another M-2000 when they were on sale from mesa's website.. ERRRR :bawl:

8. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't know when you got your M-2000, but I got Mine during the Website Sale about a year or so ago.. When did you get yours????

9. unlined4string

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I got mine one month ago from the local Guitar Center as NOS closeout, with foot controller and full factory warranty. It's in perfect condition. It was a floor model that had been in the store "for years" according to the sales rep.

It sounded great when I tried it out. The store was noisy and I didn't notice the hum at the time. But in my home studio the hum is very noticeable.

MESA tech support was very helpful. My M-2000 came with no box, so they're shipping me an empty box to return it for service.

10. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    That cool that they are gonna repair if for you under the warranty.. According to the TECH I spoke to on the Phone, he said that any Mesa/Boogies ordered before 2002 had only a year Warranty and any purchased after had a 5 year warranty...

I have been told to take it to a Mesa Boogie Tech and have them check it out, and if they cannot fix i will send back to the factory...

11. Never had that problem with my M2000.

I DID have an instrument input problem with my Walkabout.
    I called Mesa, sent it in and they fixed it (no charge). :D

:bassist: