1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

M-2000 vs. M-Pulse 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by klangmaster, Apr 9, 2009.

1. klangmaster

klangmaster

Apr 9, 2009
    Hi guys, new to the TB :)

I want ask You which offer would be better to choose? Mesa M-2000 or Mesa M-Pulse 600? When choosed, could You reccomend any cabinet for it? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    K :)

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The M-2000 is discontinued, but you can check out the Mesa M-6 or M-9 Carbine amps, which are said to sound somewhat similar to certain popular settings on the M-2000. I would recommend trying both amps out for yourself, as they sound very different...

Karl

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 the M-2000 could sound very punchy and 'modern', similar to the M6. The 600 is all about big, tubey, fat, warm tone... more 'full' than punchy and aggressive.

For cabinets, the M6 seems to play well with a wide variety of cabs, due to its being on the more 'solid state' end of the 'solid state to tube' hybrid tone continuum. The MPulse600 is MUCH more on the 'all tube emulation' end of that continuum, and as a result, can be a bit fussy with cabs. IMO, treat the MPulse600 just like you would an 'all tube amp' when searching for optimal cab matchups.

I've owned both, and they are both great for what they do. The M6 is the 'best' Mesa head I've experienced personally, but that's because I dig a bright, quicker, cleaner, punchier tone.

And... to the OP, welcome to Talkbass. If you use the search function, you will find quite a bit of information on all the Mesa heads.

4. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I own an M-2000 and one thing you'll need to understand about the M-2000 ...you will really need to spend a lot of time playing with the settings ... this amp can get just about any sound you want ...provided you spend the time looking for the sound ...it's the most flexible amp ...tone wise one could buy ... IMHO

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Totally different animals.

M-Pulse as Ken said is a big, bootyful monster with sweet thick tones.

The M2000 is nice, once you get the hang of it. I wouldn't mind having one again now that I'm further along in my bass-wisdom and could actually use it properly.

I'm currently rockin' the Titan V12, which is highly, HIGHLY recommended! :D

6. I <3 my M-Pulse.

:D

7. I use the M-Pulse 600 into either an Ampeg 810, Eden 410XLT, or Eden 210XLT depending on the gig. I play in modern and classic rock cover bands, a dance band with a horn section, and an alt-country original band. It sounds great in every setting with any of these cabs, but my preference is to use the 810 for loud bands and the 210 for anything else. The 410 doesn't see much stage time.

I'm very pleased with this amp. I sold an SVT4-Pro that I used for ten years on hundreds of gigs and replaced it with the m-pulse. It can do big thick tube sounds and a has a good hi-fi sound once you get used to the controls. The semi-parametric eq on the m-pulse seems to zero in on frequencies more closely than the M2000 graphic eq section. It sounds like the parametric has a tighter Q setting than what would be on each sliders of the M2000 graphic. They truly are different beasts.

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I have the M-2000 and I will also say that it can do just about anything tone-wise, but you need to be able to play with the knobs and buttons for a few months before being able to get the sweetest sound out. :meh:

The M Pulse 600 also has ******* awesome tone, but it's more "set and forget" rather than "tweak".

I paid about $750 for my M-2000 head in used, but good, condition. They are fairly rare and you don't really see them for sale that often.

The M Pulse 600 is far more plentiful but it sells for about the same amount.