1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

M 9 , too much power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bentdog, Jul 27, 2012.

1. bentdog

bentdog

Jul 27, 2012
    Bay Area CA
    I recently went from Pro-4 to M9 and the power is amazing. I am using one PH1200 and am having to dial everything back in order to get the gain up around 10:00. I play with a heavy hitting drummer and guitarists who are using Krankenstein and a Simul/2:90 up pretty loud. The Pro-4 was not cutting thru and finding it's place in the mix, even with lots of experimenting. That is no longer an issue. It seems the m9 needs to be around 10:00 or higher on the gain to start getting up in it, but my master at 9:00 is requiring me to cut back on the B-M-T dials. I am hearing myself great now and the M9 seems to find its own space in the mix. What is dialing back the B-M-T and increasing the master doing compared to centering them and reducing the master? I am not using the eq. Is there a minimum range for the master volume to be at to function ideally?
    I'm a new member and this is my first post but I have been taking advantage of everyone here's opinions for years.
    Thanks for any feedback

2. Hi there, welcome to talkbass!

Your M9 is a thing of beauty and is one of the more well loved amps on this forum.

Knobs are there to be turned bro. Turn them to get the ound you are happy with. All good to set that gain real high on mesa amps.

Dan

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I have a M3 and find it too powerful for most uses.
    I can't even imagine what a M9 may put out.

4. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I run my gain at 1-2 and volume to taste....I also usually have to back off on the bass, seems heavy on the flat setting. Needless to say this amp smokes! enjoy \m/

5. bentdog

bentdog

Jul 27, 2012
    Bay Area CA
    I hear you. I have definitely never had this problem before! I'm just wondering if there is an ideal way to run this in the lower volume range and is cutting back with knobs or the eq better. With the knobs at 12:00 my master is at like 8:00. I've never had the loudest amp in the band. This is the kind of problem to have though

6. bentdog

bentdog

Jul 27, 2012
    Bay Area CA
    How do I add pics/avatar to my account?

7. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    you could lower the gain, but it does sound better driven harder. Last week per a discussion with my sound guy, I look at my speakers while playing and set flat at what I call med low settings, the speakers were moving like crazy. I cut bass to almost 9:00, still decent cone movement.(ps I use eq setting 4) I felt i sounded thin on stage, he claims it was perfect and not boomy at all. ymmmv

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I find that the tone controls on the M9 are different than many amps. If you run flat on others, you may still want to cut or boost on the M9. Also, play around with the GEQ section..... you may find your tone with the EQ engaged.

I run my gain at 9-10 and my tone controls flat with maybe a slight bass/and or treble boost depending on the room.

It is SUPER loud though. I A/Bed it with a SVT-II and the M9 kills the Ampeg for headroom.

A M3 or M6 would be better for me but I like the EQ and compression.

Not many people require the headroom the M9 provides in any case!

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I always have the graphic eq engaged, cutting the two lowest bands.

If I used voice 3 (flat) I use the regular eq to cut some mids, and add a bit of treble and bass.
    If I use Voice 2 (a little scooped) I use the regular eq to add some mids, and trim treble and bass.

Most always, input gain at noon or one oclock, master 9 or 9.5 oclock.

I never use Voices 1, 4 or 5.
    YMMV

Lastly:
    What? Are you Crazy? There is no "too much power!" :)

10. bentdog

bentdog

Jul 27, 2012
    Bay Area CA
    I know, I know. It's messing me up just saying it. I am using the 2 voice as well. I will experiment on using the eq too. I just want to get as much out of the gain/power section as I can without getting evicted!

11. Too... Much... Power....?

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    M9>>>LDS 15/6. I like my gain at noon and am very careful with the master.

Sometimes too much of everything just just enough.......for everything else there's the volume knob. Happy thumpin'!!!

13. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    Alan - curious as to how much you cut? I cut them both too. 33 hz to -4 and 80 hz to -2. Gives that compressor a break too.

14. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Does not compute... ;)

That ss power section sounds just fine at any volume level. However, those Fletcher-Munsen dudes tell us that you need to boost the bass & highs at lower volumes, to compensate for our flawed hearing. Don't be afraid to turn those knobs & slide those graphic EQ sliders.

15. Baird6869

I disagree as the M9 is stupid loud......

Having said that, if Mesa released a M12...... Like a bonehead, I would likely buy one.

What...... a 43 year old guy playing in cover bands CAN'T pretend one day he will be playing stadiums?!?

16. Sign me up for an M15.

17. Baird6869

Why not? Lazy buggers at Mesa are missing the boat. Weekend warriors like me needs the 1500 watts for my small bar gigs!

18. Baird6869

Not to derail, but was the Titan louder than the M9?

I wasn't impressed with the BB750 I briefly owned, but damn the Titan looks mean!

19. bentdog

bentdog

Jul 27, 2012
    Bay Area CA
    Yea, you guys are effin' funny. Glad I finally registered. Seeing the replies helps get me thinking. Thanks

20. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I tried out an M6 before and found the voicing to really cut through more than your average head. It was a little too dry for my taste, but probably sounds killer live. Maybe the voicing contributes to the fact that it sounds so loud (in addition to the massive power section)?