1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

M-audio and LE interfaces

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by lyle, Oct 27, 2006.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I'm looking at putting together a high end music oriented PC and run protools on it. I've worked with protools in the past and am going to be using pro tools when at collage next fall, so i'm pretty sold on the software. But for interfaces i don't know. The digi 002 rack seems vary nice and has enough in's and out's to last me for a long time. But now protools has come out with m-audio capatible software. I was looking at m-audio's firewire 1814 and it seems similar to the Digi M-box 2pro. Idealy I would like to get the 002 rack but I just wanted to know your guy's opinions on the m-audio interfaces.

thanks

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    bump

anyone info please:confused:

3. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    I got the Project Mix IO. Seems to have most of the features of the Digi 002 control surface, but it's cheaper, and via lightpipe, with their Octane Mic Pre added on, it can be bumped to 16 channels (I've done this).

Haven't used it yet, other than to run some demo files through it to watch the faders fly, and played a few basslines into it to hear the pre. Haven't installed the Protools M-Powered software yet (but I do have it) however it runs SONAR just fine.

In fact, it can run Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer, SONAR and Abelton's Live (which it ships with), . You just hold one of the function buttons when it's booting, and it configures itself for different software.

It's cheaper than Digi's hardware
    It runs Pro Tools
    It's expandable to 16 tracks
    It runs a number of other software packages

No brainer.

4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    cheaper?

on digi's site it says the 002 rack is $1300 and the m-audio project mix is $1600. The 002 rack comes wiht protools as well and the project mix says nothing about coming with protools, so how is this cheaper. Not trying to be offensive just trying to figure stuff out.

also, can m-audio pt files be opened with digidesign pt and vice versa?

5. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Think he was talking about the 002 (the mixer version)... not the 002R. Yes, m-powered PT files can be opened in LE and even HD.

You can pickup the 1814 ($365) and PT m-powered ($215) software for less than half the price of the 002R ($1150). There are some minor differences between the m and le versions of the software, which may or may not matter to you. Both are capable of 18 ins via lightpipe and s/pdif.

I've had an 002R running LE (and some other audio apps) for about 5 years now now. The 1814 appears to be just as expandable (if not more since it has wordclock I/O, though 1 less MIDI out) and far more portable. Not sure about sound quality differences. I recently had my 002R modded by Black Lion Audio which elevated it's sound quality and performance in to the range of much higher-end convertors... not sure if you can do that with the 1814.
    ---
    c

6. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    I wasn't comparing it with the 002 rack. I was comparing it with the 002 control surface model (I forget the designation).

Yes, it is more than the rack 002 (but only $300 more), but don't forget, you need to buy the ProTools software (another $300 and some). This makes it quite a bit more than the rack mount, but still cheaper than going with the 002 control surface, AND you can expand it to 16 tracks with the Octane LightPipe Mic Pre, AND it's compatible with other software, like SONAR, etc. It's not cheaper...it's the better value (by far IMHO).

As for files, ProTools is ProTools. There are 3 flavors, and they are merely keyed to different hardware. There is ProTools HD, ProTools LE, and ProTools M-Powered. All can open session files from each other. Other than hardware keying, it is my understanding that the different versions are identical.

7. Ive been looking at something i can use to record on the go, but if your ok with having some rack gear, the Presonus Firepod and Presonus Firestudio (higher model) both look really nice, and at a good price!

8. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    The digi rack still seems good for me though. I dont know if I want to spend more money on the mixer versions and the 1814 only has 2 mic inputs where as 002r(which is still more expensive) has 4. I dont know I need to do some shopping but the project mix also seems like a good idea.

9. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    The best deal in the business, I think, is the M-audio Delta 1010LT at $250. There is also a Delta 1010 that is around $500 if you want the same, but with a box. You can go with the digidesign or lower priced M-audio models, but then you won't really have a high end system. The Delta 1010 and I think there is a cheaper 66 (with fewer connectors but same circuits) are affordable top of the line interfaces.

10. BR Audio

BR Audio Guest

Apr 13, 2006
    Hi lyle,
    The 002r is definetely a good unit. If you want to save a little bit of money now and have almost the same about of I/O options, you should look into the MBOX2-Pro. It gives you fewer inputs and outputs, but has very cool features. Its a few hundred bucks less than 002r.

btw, which college are you about to attend??

Gil

11. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Selkirk college in Nelson BC. They have a deal with Berklee in boston and pretty much teach the same material. So i dont have to leave the country and can save some cash, plus the bass teachers suppose to be amazing!

What I'm really looking for is a interface that I wont have to upgrade after a short time. Thats why I like the 002r because is has way more features then I need right now but I can see using all of its features in the future. Ya follow?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

12. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    Yeah, see...that was the clincher for me. The 8 mic pres on the Project mix. You can do a live band (tight), or add the Octane (which I did) for 16, and work comfortable.

13. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    You can add any pre that has ADAT/lightpipe out to the 002R (or the 1814) as well via the lightpipe connection for 8 more inputs, plus 2 more through s/pdif, for a total of 18 inputs with the 002R.

In the case of the 1814, you should be able to get that, PT m-powered and the Octane (for a total of 10 pre inputs) for about the same price as the 002R (only 4 pres). There are a bunch of 2, 4 and 8-channel pres out there (presonus, Focusrite, RME, Alto, SM Pro, Mackie) besides the Octane in the same price range (or cheaper)... and of course some much better options if you spend a few more $$$.
    ---
    c

14. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    cool, that also sounds like a good idea. I'll keeping looking at gear, i dont think i'll be buying till early 07 anyway. but thanks guys.

also one of my buddies who uses the 002r says he doesnt like the preamps it comes with. Any one else feel this way?

15. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, as in most all cases, you generally get what you pay for in the quantity to price ratio... though there are occasionaly exceptions. The stock 002R defintiely has a somewhat muddled/hazy quality about it. This is likely the result of a few factors, including the pres.

Have your buddy take a look at http://www.blacklionaudio.com/ ...they do a mod which rebuilds the pres, A/D conversion, and the clock for $400. It's essentially a new unit and puts it on par with stuff that costs many times more. I had mine done a couple months ago and it's far clearer and more detailed sounding now.

EDIT: Looks like BLA raised their price to $450... still a great deal considering the quality difference... definitely cheaper than buyting new pres, A/D and a clock.
    ---
    c

16. BR Audio

BR Audio Guest

Apr 13, 2006
    Hi lyle,

what is the application for the rig? are you planning to record full live band? just you with softsynths? both?
    This should be the deciding factor for your purchase. Don't think too far ahead, because if in 5 years you want to be able to record a full band with cue mix and all the other features necessary, you will end up spending thousands today. And you probably don't need it right now.

If you are just starting out in recording right now, I would recomend getting something simple, like the 002r or Mbox2Pro or similar. This will get your feet wet and they are not be too hard to resell when you decide to upgrade. Trust me, I teach recording full-time and I see students make the mistake of "overpurchase" all the time.

I've had to use the 002r on ocasion for some pro sessions, where an HD system wasn't avaiable and it worked fine. Off course I had used some pretty nice outboard pres.

good luck

Gil

17. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    thanks alot thats what I was getting at. I defeinatly dont want to buy something way over my head but something I can work into. The mbox pro and 002 rack are the top 2 right now

thanks

18. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I'd definitely go for the m-audio 1814 over the mbox pro... it's capable of far more expansion (via the ADAT/lightpipe connection), and pretty much in the same price range when purchased with PT m-powered. I don't see any benefit to the MB Pro over the 1814. Avid owns both Digi and m-audio, so there *shouldn't* be any weird issues with compatibility/service.

I'm actually baffled why Digi keeps producing lower-end interfaces since they seem to directly compete with m-audio. Digi needs to come up with some better mid-line stuff for their LE lineup. Guess it's for the people that buy solely on name.
    ---
    c