Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

M-audio Oxegen 8 midi controller

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My wife gave me this for Christmas. I know it's early, but we are going to visit to relatives and car spave is at a premium so we exchanged gifts. I have no idea how to use it. So far, I've been having fun just playing keyboard through the PC. It has eight knobs, a slider, and some wheel things that can be programmed as well. I think I actually need to read instrucions for once! This is thing is very fun so far though.

2. James Eller

James Eller

Dec 12, 2002
    UK
    Hi Blisshead-could you keep us posted on this thing-I'm pretty interested in a real world user's viewpoint of it-I just got an iBook and Reason and reckon it might be ideal for mobile programming/playing etc, but as usual would like to hear actual user's experience.
    Merry Xmas. Just say Ho.
    Thanks. James.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I will James. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions and I'll try to figure them out. One immediate use I see is using it with Cubase SX on my notebook; compostion, midi parts, as a midi trigger for samples. I'm going away for a week so I won't be able to touch it, but I'll try to post any revelations when I get back.

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Hey fellas. I have this piece of hardware. I use it with Reason and find it pretty decent. It is only 2 octaves, as you both probably already know, which makes any serious keyboard work dificult. I had some serisous problems getting the Mod and Pitch wheel to work with USB, but the midi port does the job. The only program I have used this with is Reason, so I will give my experiance with that. Reason auto assigns 5 of the 8 knobs to be filter moludulators. I find the keys on it to not have a very fast action, but it is great for small chords. There is room for addition of a sustain pedal as well. This is a very powerfull piece of equipement if used to its full extent, which I am curently not. I have only touched the capabilities of it.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I think the limitations you are describing have more to do with the patch you are using. I've found different patches to have different ranges and greater or lesser effect with the mof wheel and pitch wheel. (Using Cubase SX).

6. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I too have the Oxygen-8. It is awsome for what I do with it. I use it mainly to play midi drums, add small harmonies and melodies, and sound effects. I do not, nor do I want to know how to play piano, so it is perfect for me. I use it with Reason, and Cubase SX. I had no issues with it using USB. The USB even provides its power.

The Cons: It seems a bit plasticy (if that's a word.) I wouldn't carry it around alot unless you wanted to break off a knob or a couple of the keys... even though it would be safe in its original box. The only other con for me is the feel of the keys. They too are very light and feel like the are supported only by a piece of bending plastic, which I imagine would wear-out after some time.

I don't gig live so this thing is perfect for me. Low cost, easy to setup, and easy to use.

7. My drummer just bought one of these and uses it to drive his Roland TD-8 drum brain like a keyboard module. He sequences drum patterns then plays any instrument over top in realtime which is very cool. He also has a number of MIDI-able Electrix units that he can assign any of the controllers too...and damn is this thing cheap!! A great box IMO.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Very cool. I'm wondrering about using my laptop the same way.

9. Works great? This has really opened up our little trio...just don't end up like SquarePusher; back to the audience, pointing and clicking. Bleah.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Never! I'm addicted to the moment between panic and ecstasy when I just make the line/fill/cluster of random notes I was shooting for on my bass. -this would be supplemental only.