Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

M.M. G-string final report

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamhampton, Apr 22, 2002.

1. jamhampton

jamhampton

Apr 16, 2002
    Well I Tried My stingray with the basslines pickup/preamp combo at the club this weekend. Its hard to accuratly judge at this particular club because it has a large open stage and I dont have a big enough rig for this type of room, but here it is: The sound was definatly less twangy and less farty, a little mellower in the mid range, the high end had more bite and sizzle and the low end was a little more together. The G string was definatly better but still not like a jazz or P-bass. If you roll the treble back and boost the low and mid a little you can get the 70's stingray sound (ala QUEEN another one bites the dust). Over all an improvement, Ide like to try it wired in series just to compare.
    The conclusion ive come to about MM basses and the G problem is this, the bass string vibrates alot more closer to the neck then at the bridge, thats why neck pickups are bassier and bridge pickups have more upper mids and treble. The music man has no neck pick up, only a bridge, which is pretty far back. The G string just cant vibrate heavly enough that close to the bridge to give the fullness like a jazz or p-bass can. Even though my Stingray sounds better the tone on the G is thin compared to a fender. But this works great for the larger strings, the notes are sharper and have more snap.

Ill have a better chance to hear them this weekend, the clubs alot smaller. Comments welcome.
    James