Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

M' New Elrick!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Jun 12, 2002.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I just ordered my new Elrick from the Bass Palace! Alder 4 string 34 inch scale bolt on, spalted maple burl top, jazz spacing at the nut, custom ordered Bart 9W4js in the X4 pickup housing, banjo frets, 18volt Bart preamp, macassar ebony board, 3 piece quartersawn maple neck....MMmm, mmm!!!
    When me gets, me post pictures!!:cool:

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    What made you go with banjo frets?

3. Sounds sweet, and Rob Elrick builds great basses. Is yours going to be the original Elrick shape, or the new Evolution design?

Mike

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, mega-congrats!:D I LOVE Elricks!!!

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    congrats!!! i kinda like the tiny frets. i played an elrick with mandoyl frets, and if it wasn't a six string and 36" scale it would have been the nicest playing bass i've ever played. they're ridiculous basses.

i'm actually thinking of ordering one -

neck thru wenge neck
    34" scale
    wenge board
    EMG pickups
    U-retro deluxe preamp
    ash body
    bubinga top and back

we'll see how the money situation pans out within the next few months.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think we played the same one. What a beauty!

I'm actually planning on building one a little differently than you, but definitely going with the wenge neck.

I'm thinking mahogany body, cocobolo top, mandolin frets, bart soapbars, 18-volt preamp...

Should be interesting...probably take another 6 months to come up with the down payment, though:mad:

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Sounds like it'll be a beaut. congrats!

btw, Macassar ebony is a great fingerboard. i love how it looks almost chocolate on mine. :D

8. Woo-hoo for you!

I played my first Elrick in NYC last week. Nice instrument!

Congrats!! Get those pics up!

Jeff

9. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Mandolin frets are much shorter and narrower than Dunlop 6230s (Fender vintage sized)...no fighting the board....a light touch is all that's required, and it helps get the action ridiculously low to the board. I DO NOT buy the theory that bigger frets giver better sustain...a well seated fret does the job just fine!!
    I was going to do the U-Retro, but he doesn't like using it, so I got the 18v Bart for a little more headroom, and a balanced power supply.
    You're right....he's got it down....very few people can build as well constucted insrtument as Rob Elrick.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'd just stick with the Bart pre Rob uses. they're tailored and customized to his basses anyways.