M. Night Shyamalamading-dong...I feel duped

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Jul 19, 2004.

1. So I watch the Sci-Fi channel special on him last nite: "The buried secret of MNShamalan" or whatever.

About 1/2 hour into this show I feel incredibly duped, like this is the MOST innane high-school level oujia board nonsense.

But, I watched for another 2.5 hours out of sheer curiosity...still thinking the whole time that this was coming off like nothing more than a big commercial to paint Night as a spooky guy.

And I was right. No payoff, no revelations, just a bunch of crap. To think I fought off sleep to watch the last hour.

I be guessing I'm the fool. I like his movies, and I'm looking forward to "the Village", but as a preson, he shouldn't try so hard to come off as "enlightenned".

2. This color is not allowed. It attracts them

3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah. I really wanna see "The Village", I just hope it's not incredibly stupid like "Unbreakable" was.
  4. I hope its not as bad as Gili.

I was the only person in my whole school who saw Gili.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Look, I'm sorry, Unbreakable was okay, but had a terrible ending. Other than that, I've failed to see the reason people flock to his movies. I personally thought (and think) Signs was one of the most atrocious films I've had to sit through, which includes most of the Ed Wood and Troma films.

I saw it for free, and I still wanted my money back.
  6. Funny how that was the prevalent color in 6th sense.
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I didn't even bother to see Signs. 1. Because things about aliens just don't interest me. 2. Because it looked stupid and everybody told me it was crap.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Everyone I talked to thought it was the best movie in years. Some of whom weren't just run of the mill movie goers.

I thought it was terrible and needed to be shot.

Twice, just to make sure.
  9. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Luckily I have a friend that is about as entertainment-critical as you are. Sometimes I listen to him (Signs), and sometimes I don't (House of 1000 Corpses).
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's not that I'm critical, I let a lot of stuff slide. It's that I've got a remarkably low tolerance for crap, and if it's crap, I will not abide by it.

Which is why I sort of enjoyed Chronicles of Riddick (like I said, I let a lot of stuff slide. This movie about peaked, but was let go), but thought Signs should have never been made.
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    So, actually you got nothing back, and thats about as much as you payed for it ;)
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Y'know when you go to a concert, and you're talking really loud, and suddenly the band stops, and you're yelling at the top of your lungs, all by yourself, and everyone looks at you all funny?

You're that guy right now.
  13. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I didn't mean to imply that it was a bad thing. If anything, I think we should demand more from the entertainment industry, as their existence is entirely dependent on us.

the Chronicles of Riddick is one movie that I will never, ever watch. I was duped by The Fast and The Furious (okay, I wasn't, but everybody I know cajoled me into going to see it with them), and was miserable the whole time (I love technical accuracy in film, and this had a glaring lack thereof), and I'm not about to see any film that Vin Diesel has anything to do with.
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Shyamalin (I'm not even going to check and see if I spelled his name right) strikes me as being full of crap and some of the incredibly insipid dialogue in all of his movies makes me want to puke. I actually thought Unbreakable was his best movie though but I wasn't in love with it. I also get sick of his "creative" camera work. I like creative things but what he does is just obnoxious as are his various attempts to give a nod to Alfred Hitchcock.

Also he can't act worth a flip.

brad cook
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eh. I really can't watch sci-fi, as I ended up with a good sized portion of knowledge of physics, chemistry, science in general, so I can't enjoy them. I'm always like "Oh, come ON!"

I didn't like Fast and the Furious either (well, okay, Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster were UBER hot), but Riddick was better, actually. I know, shocking.

I don't demand a whole lot from my entertainment: I just don't want it to suck. Or suck so bad it becomes entertainment. Which is where films like the Troma stuff fail. They're mediocre, but not truely bad enough to cross over. So instead of being good bad, they're just bad bad.
  16. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I love how all Night's movies carry the same emotional tone level.....puke....... and everyone whispers............barf..........hack. I especially love how he stars in all of the movies. In Signs he was like a farmer or something. Let me ask you guys this....... When was the last time you saw someone of Indian decent farming? Aside from that, his acting breaks the continuity of the other actors. It's like he comes in the movie and goes...Look! Look at me !!!!! My name is all over the movie and look! I'm in it too! TaDAAAAAA! As a director, I could think of worse guys. Such as whoever the director was for the movie "Something's Got to Give".
  17. Well, I'm not much into "reality dramas" and Tom Clancy-isms, and like my share of who-dunnit and whatz-izzits and spooky stuff and Sci-Fi, so I can relate to the flicks...

I like it to be entertaining. I don't think Fast and Furious is entertaining as it is pandering to a demographic, or product placing ad nauseum, you know?

6th sense I was captivated with how "real" Haley Joel Osment acted. That made the movie to me.

Unbreakable I still haven't fully experienced.

Signs I thought was weak, but I liked the inner-turmoil aspect of it, the alien premise was secondary.

Not a bad way to pass 2 hours. Then again, I just saw Gothika on Friday, and I thought that was absolute tripe. Same with "day after tomorrow". crap.
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They're quite common in India, actually.
  19. Actually, I would imagine they make quite decent farmers if their family has been doing it for generations.
    Or did you mean "descent?"

Ok, I feel like I should actually contribute to this thread's content.
    The only M. Night Shyamalan film I've seen is Signs, and I thought it was pretty good. At the time, anyway. I went in not knowing what to expect, and came out thinking, "wow, that was kind of cool."
    But then again, that's how I felt about "Batman and Robin" the first time I saw it, too. Of course, "B&R" was the premiere, and the girl I had a crush on at the time just happened to be there, and she enjoyed it.

Anyhoo, I don't like movies that tie together too well, like I thought Signs did. By the end I was thinking, "OOOOH! So that's why the girl thought her water was 'contaminated' all the time!" And other such things. I prefer films that tie together with a few holes in the bag, where I have to actually spend time thinking about it after it's over to finally get what happened, or even watch it again.