Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

M-PULSE 600 AND ??? SPEAKER CONF. DO U USE?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FERNDOGG, Sep 7, 2004.

1. FERNDOGG

FERNDOGG

Jun 30, 2004
    Just got my M-pulse 600 this weekend, I played thru an old Cerwin-Vega 2X15 cabinet....... mucho power, but couldn't really dial in a sound to fill my dream sound...... seemed to be a little muddy for my taste, but still every not was audible.... just wondering if any of you have compared 2x15 vs. 4x10, 8x10, 6x10...... I've seen threads of a couple of people using 2x10s and getting some pretty nice sounds [including big bottom]...... maybe even a review of someone using 4x12s?.... any input would be greatly appreciated...... :bassist:

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Congrats on the new head! Great choice. Don't get discouraged, there's plenty of great tone to go along with all that power. You just need to spend some time playing with the EQ. :D

I have the M-Pulse 600 as well (could you tell?). I was using two Aguilar GS112's. Killer bottom, but somewhat lacking in the midrange area. I recently bought a GS210 to pair with one of the 112's. I've only had it on two gigs so far, but it's a lot closer to what I'm looking for-big bottom and punchy mids!

Good luck in your search!

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I listened to a much of smaller cabs this weekend with the mpulse.

The Aggie 112 and 210 cabs all sounded scooped to me - I call them the smiley face cabs - hyped up lows and highs and flat in the middle. I didn't try them combo'd tho so maybe that's the secret to completing the aural picture with them.

I ened up choosing the AccuGroove Tri210L. It's even-steven response all across the sprectrum really let's me dial in a tone at the amp that will sound the same at the cab as it does on the tape. God I love that! :hyper:

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I use an Aguilar 212 with my MPulse 600 and it sounds killer. Fat and punchy. Just remember that very small adjustments make a difference with these heads. Also, try to walk out 15 or 20 feet (or as far as you can) from the cabinet to hear what it really sounds like. Pretty likely your stage tone is not what people are hearing....mine can sound a bit muddy with some basses, but man! It's kicking out there!

5. FERNDOGG

FERNDOGG

Jun 30, 2004
    I raise this question, because I have an Eden 410XLT in storage and I am wondering how the M-pulse would sound with it....... I have read on a few threads, that the Edens love the power from the Mesas....... and I also have a friend that has an old Fender 4x12 bass cabinet that he said he wants to sell for cheap....... either way, I am going to try all these conf. out for myself and go from there, but I do value all the TB'ers insights........ that's how I have arrived @ buying a Lakland Joe Osborne and the M-pulse....... keep 'em cumming...... ;)

6. rbud2003

rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I use Eden cabs with my M-Pulse 600 and it sounds great. I'm still getting used to the EQ and fine tuning the sound but so far I'm happy with the combination. Any EQ tips out there for the M-Pulse 600 beyond what is in the manual?

My rig:

Mesa M-Pulse 600
    1 Eden D210XLT
    1 Eden D115XLT

Basses:

- Fender 75RI Jazz FSR in Olympic White
    - Fender 62RI Jazz

7. FERNDOGG

FERNDOGG

Jun 30, 2004
    although I haven't tried this setting with drums or in a band setting, it sounded really good at an modest volume last night [you know the situation: you wake up in the middle of the night because you can't sleep til you find a sound that will LET you sleep........]. I set the bass, mid, & treble to the "scooped R&B" setting, and set the parametric to the "huge & round" setting....... that way there's a couple of different sounds foot-controlable.......BTW, this is the setting I use w/ my Lakland Skyline JO....... I can't wait to turn it up tonight @ band practice, check it out!

8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    As far as EQ goes I have to say this is the most responsive amp I've ever had. Since I started getting used to it (it took about 3 gigs) I don't use the parametric at all the majority of the time. I've found that between whatever bass I'm using and those first 4 controls I've been able to get exactly what I wanted. I've found that the gain setting also acts as a tone control to a degree. There's a lot of great tone in this thing - there's also a lot of bad tone too. All that adjustment works both ways. I like to start off flat and see where it leads me rather than going for a "preset" out of the manual. I find the parametric works best for only tweaking specific frequencies in certain venues, not as an across the board automatic set up. I go for a fat, punchy, more traditional tone and this thing does that pretty much right out of the gate. Of course, your mileage may vary for more extreme tones, but less is truly more with this amp IMO. It's a great tool and I'm loving it!

9. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I use the Pulse 600with two 15" Bag End cabs and am very happy with the results....I also have a B-2 - 4 ohm and that sounds great.

I am seriously considering a 4 x 10 cab..
    not sure...maybe a Goliath 4 ohm or an Eden 4 x 10 ......
    any thought on the 4 x 10 cabs out there??