M-Pulse 600 vs ABM500 Evo II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Mar 15, 2005.

1. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Ok, I currently have a 400+. The tone I get is good, really good, but its not exactly what I'm looking for. I want something more hi-fi, more articulate. So I've narrowed it down to these 2 amps. I have an SWR Goliath III, which i'm gonna hang on to. When I get a new amp, i'm also gonna get a new bass, either a sterling or a stingray, probably a sterling. For my own music, I play hard rock stuff. Stuff like STP, Soundgarden, and Tool. I know Rob DeLeo plays a signature schecter into a sansamp, Ben Shepard plays a p-bass into something mesa, Paul D'Amour played a rik and eventually a stingray into an ashdown, and Justin Chancellor played a stingray and went to a wal, into a demeter preamp. Could either/both of these amps get me in the ballpark with these tones, with a musicman bass? I've searched on the forums, but I couldn't find any direct comparison with these amps.

Ok, second question. I run a basement recording studio. I record local bands. I record all sorts of bands, from death metal to punk. The bass players we record always use my gear, which is what I want, because I have experience with it, so I know how to dial it in, and how to record it. But my 400+ isn't very diverse at all. Again, would either/both of these amps be better able to cover a large array of genres of music? I've played through an ABM500 before, and I loved it, the EQ was great, so I'm thinking it's very capable of being used for all different types of music. I've never played the M-Pulse 600, but it seems comparable to the ABM500. I'm definitely leaning towards the Ashdown, because I like the sound a lot, and the price is great. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
  2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I own an Ashdown ABM500 EVO and LOVE it. It is VERY versatile, and can do eveything from Vintage fat tones, to edgy Rock tones to Modern Hi-Fi slap stuff. Gobs of power, records exceptionally well from the DI. Just an all around great amp.

I demo'd a Mesa MPulse 600 in store once with out my bass. But I was impressed with it. Didn't spend enough time on it to really be able to give a comparison though. Gary
  3. If you really like the Ashdown then get it. I think they both sound about the same. But the mesa has more tone options and of course a bigger price tag.
  4. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I think you may find that all the players you listed above use or have used the sansamp bass di so maybe have a look at that.

Now I'm a huge ashdown fan so all I can say is what ever tone your after you cna probably get it with an ashdown, I myself am using a abm 300 combo and I couldn't be more happier with it, I maybe getting a mini 4x8 to put under it as well.

I think you should try the abm out and then try the sansamp into the abm input and the effect return therefore bypassing the pre I've recently been using an early john east preamp bypassing the pre.

If you go this route you may find yourself beign better with the sansamp as a pre and then an ashdown power section.

Hope this helps let us know how you go on