Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

m-pulse eq

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Mar 29, 2003.

1. So if the mid in the 3 band eq is only cut/boost or whatever, then what are the settings for flat?

I've already eq'd what I like, but I just want to see how close it is to flat, I'm pretty sure that with my cabs that that my eq is pretty close to flat. I like not knowing exactly whats what, because then you don't allow your brain to tell your ears what they're hearing.:D

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm going to wave my finger at you for being a naughty bass player :)

EQ with your ears not your eyes. I'm struggling to understand the fascination with "flat". If flat was ideal, EQ's would never have been invented. And flat is relative to room acoustics.

3. the bass and treb. are active,"flat" is at 12 o'clock...the mid is a passive style control and is boost only, (from the manual) "unlike the bass control,this control is a boost only,and while it can competently remove this broad spectrum of mid-range in the mix,it connot provide the extreme attenuation of an active style control"

4. Hey! Petebass as I stated earlier I have used my ears to eq the tone I like. I am only interested in the flat setting because of everybodies facination with it, but I do like an even sound. It's talk bass and since I've talked and read about everything, I thought I might want to talk about something that hasn't been discussed and applies to my personal gear.:mad: Did you even read what I stated in the first post or do you run around trying to jack up your thread posts per day by commenting on half of a statement. Talk about selective reading, and besides so what if I'm facinated with a flat eq. I guess Just because you're ignorant that does give you the right to post, I mean it is the internet

:rolleyes:

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Gee some people are easily offended.

6. True, I'm in the middle of moving, so I'm a little stressed.:meh:

I'm sorry it seemed like you were talking down to me. I know what you are saying, and when I read my post over it did seemed like maybe I was emphazising that I wanted a flat eq, but that's not the case, I'm just curious as to the stats behind the m-pulse.

Now to badger rekesbass!:D You didn't really answer my question now did you?:confused:

7. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I have a M-Pulse 360 and I thought 12:00 was flat but I guess it's not. All I know is I like mine around the range of 8 to 10:00 for me depending on the bass and the room.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Actually, the mid is a passive control on those amps, which means it is cut only, not boost. If it says that in the manual, it's a mis-print.

Anytime I play on those amps I just set everything at 12 of the clock. Sounds great to me!

9. Basstriaxis,why would think it a mis-print?... the manual clearly states that it is a BOOST ONLY..in bold letters.(which leads me to believe it was not a mis-print) I should've use bold print the first time.:confused: ....Scutterflux, you're right I did'nt answer your question.:) ..I would say (based on the manual) that flat is all the way to the left(7:00)...BTW, I own the 600 and it does operate as a boost only control but, like the manual says" it cannot provide the extreme attenuation of an active style control"...also, the bass and treb. controls don't have center detents for "flat",so you're kinda forced to use your ears..but to my ears the manual nails the discription of the mid control..IMO

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hmmm, looks like I've got a bit of mis-communication going on here. The folks at Boogie say "cut", while the manual says "boost". I have a hard time thinking that a passive control boosts anything; passive controls on basses are cut only. Interesting.

Either way, these amps sound good. Boost, cut; who cares? Either way you turn that knob it sounds cool.

11. .........yes, yes they do....:)

12. I agree, it's one of the few amps where you can boost the mids(or not cut as much:confused: ) and still have the sweetness.

I thought in theory that a passive style eq is cut only, but I did read in the manual that say's its a boost:confused: But if the website corrected it.

I find I usually have the mid around 10-2 o'clock. It's a sweet sounding mid that this amp produces.