Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

m-pulse input problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Mar 6, 2004.

1. I've read that there was some problems with inputs on the m-pulses, (SMASH! You know if you're out there.) could you explain please.

I did a search, and could't find anything about this, and now I'm paranoid, and probably overanalysed my amp a little to much. :meh:

I've noticed the tone between the active and passive inputs are different, even when I adjust the gain to compensate for the -20db in the active input. Is this the problem that someone was talking about? The passive input is really clean and clear, but the active is really creamy. I did read a post once that stated only active basses sound good through the m-pulse, maybe the input was the culprit. I'll bet I get no reply's, just because I rambled on about nothing, it's happened before, honest. :)

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Dude, don't be trippin' yourself out.

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've got an M-Pulse 600. Haven't heard of any problem with the input nor have I experienced one.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The tone on the two inputs is supposed to be different. They have two different input impedences to accomodate for active and passive instruments. That will change the tone. Boogie may also have voiced the two differently as well, knowing the inherent tonal characteristics of active & passive.

They are also supposed to have different gain structures, so it's ok if the passive is louder.

Mesa did get a bad bunch of input something or others early on in production, and they failed completely. If that was your problem, you wouldn't be getting any sound at all.

5. Ahhh..ha So I have no problem at all, I was sort of thinking I was crazy :bag:

It's just that I have a passive G&L That makes it's own electricity, enough to power headphones, more than the 18V bartolini pickup/pre in the tobias growler that I ab'd! I was playing with the passive and active tone differences since the G&L is so hot, it does sound smoother in the active end of things, but sacrafices some of the swr-like clarity.

So the tone diff is normal and I can sleep again :oops: yawn :D

6. Often a lower impedance "active" input will sound duller with a passive bass due to loading the pickups. If you don't need the pad on the input, plug into the "passive" input.