M.Schneider & David Sanborn

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by arto alho, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Hey, Europeans out there:

oncoming concert next friday ( March 21. )
    in Helsinki:
    Maria Schneider w. Danish Radio Big Band
    feat. David Sanborn
    plays the music of Gil Evans

Definitely a must!!
    I think Maria is one of the top conductors in modern big band music, i really do like her work.

My questions:
    for Europeans: I doubt Finland would be the only place where they perform, I´d like to know if anyone has seen them on this tour yet? Danes maybe?

For everyone: thoughts about Maria Schneider?

2. Agree with You, Ed.
    Danish BB is great, I saw them with Bob Brookmayer and Joe Henderson a few yers ago. BB lead them for several years in concerts they were doing in Europe.
    Maria worked as an assistant fo Gil Evans himself, as You know, and really writes nice. I like her own music, but that´s not what it´s gonna be, cause the ad says that they will play Gil Evans.

The question was in fact that I was wondering what kind of Gil´s stuff it´s gonna be. Gil had this very electric period and it might be that it was when Sanborn played with him. Have to check the record You mentioned.
    Well, in few days I´ll hear the stuff anyway. I´ll post a review.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I couldn't find any news of a tour this year - although they have toured the UK before and you can get records of this.

I don't think I'll be hopping on a plane and coming over - we have lots of nice "big bands" in London!! ;)
    my comment "definitely a must" was focused to myself only, but I sure understand Your confuse. I have to be more careful talking to people who live on isolated islands....;)
    Any hint of those live records? Are we still talking about the same band?