Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

M2000 boggie setting ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shirtforbrains, Jan 15, 2006.

1. shirtforbrains

shirtforbrains

Sep 5, 2005
    Any websites with ideas on settings. Or am i just like everyone else who uses one setting. This amp is hard on the brain, I used to stare at it for hours on tour setting it.

I know some one can help .

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont use the M2000 (which looks pretty complicated), but have to agree that Mesa stuff is a little more tricky to setup than other brands I've owned.

What type of sound are you looking for?

3. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    Haven't found a site anywhere. I'm usually in mix mode with it set at 3/4 FET, 1/4 Tube with a lot of gain on the non-hi-gain setting (tube side). I use the graphic EQ's to get the sound and leave to bass, mid, and treble pots flat. I just go through the graphic EQ during warm up and boost and cut as I need. Not all that hard unless you are trying to set it up to where you can make them footswitchable and bring them on and off while playing.

I love the effects loop on this thing! I can blend in just a little chorus that comes in in the high frequencys. The compressors are nice too. I've got all kinds of great sounds out of it. I'm trying to track down Justin Chancellor's tone, but my non-mid friendly bass is not helping.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Y'know, I love knobs, switches, faders and the like, and that's what attracted me to the M-2000. The problem is that, while all the adjust-o-rama stuff looks cool, it's too hard to get a tone out of the danged thing. I just love the promise of adjustment all those dongles represent, but an hour of tweaking still didn't produce anything I'd want a good Christian to hear.

So pfffft.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I used a Mesa M2000 at a gig last night. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the controls, having done a lot of tweaking at home, and having previous experience with one.
    During the first set, I just COULD NOT get a decent tone out of it, using my Bergantino NV610 bottom. It was either too boomy (which my NV610 has never been before), or too thin. There seemed to be no in between. On break after the first set, I ran out to my car, got my Mesa 400+, and set it up. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.....that's better, my tone was back.

6. Try the Mesa site and download the manual. There are some good starting points in there for decent tones and you can tweek from there. Someone said in another thread don't use the compressors. I have been able to get several good tones out of it. Does anyone know what the flat settings are on the M-2000? I know the 400/400+ is like 0bass 10 mid 0 treb to be set flat. So is the m-2000 flat at straight up noon or all the way either direction. :cool:

7. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I'd like to know this too. Someone told me that there was a Bass Player Magazine article that had all ths information in it, but I have not been able to locate it.

8. I had one of these for a while.... to me, it sounded best almost flat with the compressors off and the preamps blended 50/50. Neither of the preamps sound very good IMO individually. However, when you blend them, it's pretty cool... you get that massive mid punch from the SS side, and the big warm bottom and sweet treble from the tube side.

Try doing just a little bit of a 'smiley face' graphic EQ on the SS side, and boosting the treble on the tube side (either with the graphics or the rotary). It sounds pretty good.

When I set the amp that way, it sounds relatively close to my Thunderfunk set pretty much flat... which is why my M2000 is not listed on the Thunderfunk 'gear for sale' page:D