1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

M2500 vs Ray35

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Jun 20, 2014.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Hello,

Does the M2500 get a Ray35 tone? How powerful is the M2500? Any advise?

Thanks

Shaun

2. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Anything

3. My M2500 is very hot and powerful, but I wouldn't describe it as the same as a Ray. Not quite as aggressive sounding.

4. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    How would you describe the tone?

5. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've found it to be a bit more mellower and smoother. Not quite piano like, but not quite and growl and snarl of the Ray.

6. I find the bass to be punchy and full. My band mates prefer it to my Korean Spector (which is a nice affordable bass as well. )

7. The preamp in the M2500 is powerful. Lately I've been boosting the bass/treble and keeping the mids at the center. But the mid boost really makes the bass jump out.

8. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I do like the tone and feel of the Ray.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    M2500 gets the classic "modern" soapbar tone. There a couple of very nice clips, especially one by Ed Friedland on YouTube.

10. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Well I decided to go with the Ray35 in natural.

11. azwipe

azwipe

Jul 9, 2013
    Washington, DC
    Great choice. I'm not too familiar with the M2500, but I've been a J-bass guy for years. I had a Ray35 for a month and just couldn't put it down. Punch, clarity, bottom - it was all there and built like a tank. I only got rid of it to trade up to a EBMM SR5, and it's really at the same level. On the heavy side, but a joy to play.