1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

M5! M5! M5!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CyberSnyder, May 11, 2011.

1. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Just got back from practice and I wanted to pass this on. I have no affiliation with Line 6, but I would wholeheartedly and enthusiastically endorse the M5. I'll go so far as to say that every bassist should have one.

Why the enthusiasm? First there is the best octaver available. It will even track a low E. Use it for all the modulation and synth effects that you might occasionally use. But the real killer is with the Pitch Shift effect. Set it to -1.0 and you have an instant Eb Ab Db Gb tuning - and it track very well. Now you can play all the open string runs if the singer or keyboard player want to drop a half step. Same thing with dropping a whole step. And the Holy Grail, set the pitch shift to -5.0 and your EADG bass is now BEAD. It really works. Players that prefer four strings but may need some low notes for certain songs can have it. Plus the M5 will even track a low D if you have a D-Tuner on your bass, instant low A.

Seriously, it runs with a OneSpot, gives you five string range on a four string and has a butt load of quality effects with the best octave down around. $199 is an absolute steal.

I really need to make a video, but I'm not sure if the iPhone will pick up the low notes well enough to make it worthwhile.

2. alainkills

alainkills

Mar 9, 2011
    Tuguegarock
    we'll wait for the demo!

3. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Still processing and the quality isn't the best, but here you go...

YouTube - Line 6 M5 as a bass retuning effect

There is some chorusing in the video, but that's far less noticeable live. The mic on the iPhone picks up the high frequency content much more than low frequencies.

4. Have you tried the m5 with other effects? I'm really thinking about getting one, but I'd need to figure out where to put it in my signal chain. A good place spacewise would be after my distortion, but do you think that the octave and pitch shifters would track in that slot?

5. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Placement is definitely an issue. There are obviously tradeoffs to where you place it in the signal chain. I've had some success tracking distortion, but it's not perfect. I'd put it before the distortion.

6. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    That sounds pretty snazzy.

7. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I've been really enjoying my M9 (the drythru delays are worth the cost of admission IMO), and am thinking of picking up a M5just so I can put it elsewhere in my chain for using the octaver.

8. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    nice vid!

9. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    My first video. I threw it together in five minutes and had the iPhone propped up with a rolled up paper towel and some duct tape. High tech all the way!!

10. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Can you give us a review of the compressors?

11. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Can you confirm that you can only use 1 effect at a time?

I'd most likely use the compressor with other effects at least...

JMO?

12. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    The compressors are "meh". The Studio compressor is the best one for bass.

Yes, it's only one effect at a time with the M5.

13. When I first saw the M5, I was kinda "...meh..." about the only one effect bit, but the drop-tuning sounds like a win by itself.

14. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    I think it sounds amazing!

15. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    How are the distortion effects?

16. +1

The video sounded rad!

17. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    Very cool.

18. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I need to put together a distortion / overdrive effects demo. I'll try to do that in a couple days. The biggest complaint is that there are no effect blends on the distortions. The distortions are definitely meant for guitar so the default settings have the gain cranked up way higher than you would typically want for bass. I like the tube overdrive and the classic distortion the best. Anyways, give me a couple days to a week and I'll get something quick and dirty up to show at least the character of the M5's distortions.

19. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    how does it handle Chords tuned down?

20. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Not 100% perfect, but it works surprisingly well. Most double stops and power chords work. Of course if you drop things a fourth, the lower you go, the muddier the chords just as if you were playing a fourth lower on "real" strings.