1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

M82 Bass Envelope Filter -volume zoom

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Peter S, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Peter S

Peter S

Nov 27, 2008
    Northern Ireland
    This is the first pedal I have spent much time or money on and I am having problems.

Essentially I like the sound of this pedal (using it in a funk / rock band) and I admit there is a lot of variety in the sound BUT the volume is all over the place. I wanted just a little bit of "wah"/ "quack" but pretty subtle. My problems are

1 when I turn the pedal on the volume goes up by 50%

2 there is much more effect on the E and A strings than the others.

I have spent a lot of time trying out various settings before writing this post. I want to use this effect but it's out of control. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have never used a compressor but would that give me a more even volume across the strings? If this this is the answer would it go in before or after the M82. I did plan to keep this on for the whole song rather than taking it off and putting it on repeatedly. My bass is a Fender Jazz and the amp a Mesa Walkabout 15" Scout. Pete

2. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    I use one of these at every gig so have some experience with them. The volume increase sounds like you have the wet and dry volumes cranked to me. They should be at/near 12 o'clock in order to stay near the same volume.

Sounds like the sensitivity might need to be adjusted to get the effect the same through the strings. I use multiple basses and I have to adjust it at sound check depending on what bass I'm using. There is a point where it starts to quack with hard string hits.......that where I stop turning and leave it there.

If needed I can take a pic of my settings....though I'd suspect yours will end up different.....it may get you in the ballpark anyway.

3. Problem 1 is easily solved, turn down the levels.

Problem 2 is more likely your bass has more output on E and A strings, you'll have to learn to control it and/or raise the pickups on the G side.

Gettting the sensitivity under control should help a bit, making you dig into the D and G to get it going, if that is too loud repeat level control.

4. Peter S

Peter S

Nov 27, 2008
    Northern Ireland
    Thanks guys for this quick response. Tonight I let the guitarist try it out and he was very impressed. Still I want it back.

Spego - I understood the points you made although the card I got with the pedal mentions all the controls but in little depth. If you don't mind sending me a copy of your settings that would be great.

Downunderwonder - I will investigate the volumes on my jazz without any effects on through a recording meter. Both pickups are quite well down since this particular Jazz is active. There should be plenty of room to raise the pickups on the G side if that's the issue.

Thanks again guys. This looks, feels and sounds like a quality pedal so I am prepared to put some effort into it.

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Top two knobs at or near 12 o'clock. Set your Q at about 2 o'clock and your decay at about 10 o'clock. And dial your sensitivity back a few notches counterclockwise from full. Then, play a bit and if the effect is still too loud in terms of volume, bring your FX knob back to 11 o'clock.

Lonnybass

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Here's how I run mine:

IMGP7670.

7. All knob positions are relative to bass output and finger attack, as well as taste for effect, I would read nothing into someone else's settings.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 there are clearly marked level controls for both your dry signal, and the fx level. Use these knobs to set YOUR level. The rest is easy as that too, but it's all relative to YOUR playing style, bass output, and any other fx in your chain. Learning to set fx pedals for unity gain is essential to make any board work correctly.