1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

M9 Carbine VS Demeter HBP1-800D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassundergrace, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Any owners out there? Which way would you go?

2. Right on, I'd like to hear what they have to say too.

3. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    If i had the choice... I would get the M9.... Power, versatility. Great CS.. etc

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Me too. I power my Powerhouse 212 cabs with a Demeter HBP-1/Crest CA9. Other than a reduction in weight, I wonder if the tone of the Mesa M9 Carbine is radically different than my HBP-1/CA9.

5. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Not that this helps, but either choice will be stellar :)

Think I'm leaning toward the M9 as well

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

The M9 is one of the best sounding amps ever, but make sure you buy one with the upgrades (venting, heat sink, etc.).

I owned 2 (including one made last year with all the upgrades) and they both died on gigs. I loved the tone, but washed my hands of the Mesa Fathom/Carbine stuff for good after having 2 gigs ruined because of the M9.

YMMV as many TBers have gigged them for years with no issues.

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I vastly prefer the standard demeter tone (used to run an HBP-1J) over the M9 in every conceivable way.

* but could really use an idea of what kind of tone you're after to say more useful stuff :)

8. basskillah

basskillah Justus League

Sep 14, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Roscoe Guitars
    Demeter all day

9. The M9 is not only tonally capable of whatever you need, and it has power for days, a great compressor, footswitchable 9 band EQ, and you have the bragging rights of saying you have the top of the line Mesa Bass head currently in production.

Once I got my M9 and PH212, my tone came to me and I never had any problem being heard.

10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I've had an hbp1 for years and owned a m6 for a long time. I greatly prefer the demeters tone. Much less plasticky sounding in the treble/upper midrange and warmer overall, while being very clear and present. I would also much rather have the fantastic 2 band parametric of the hbp than the graphic eq on the m9, but that's pure preference. Can't comment on the power sections of both, but I hear wonderful things about the new Demeter power amp.

If I had my druthers, my hbp would already have a 800 in it as well as a Jensen upgrade. But alas.

bassbooty likes this.
  11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 in that they are very, very, very different. The reliability issues, even with the upgraded M9's, would take those off the table for me unless I was really, totally sold on their unique 'aggressive solid state' sort of vibe, with that huge low end and super modern, sizzly top end (it would just make me a bit nervous on the gig). Impressive heads, and at least the support is good if they go down.

The new Demeter power amp is getting really positive reviews. That one space rack hybrid version of the Demeter stuff looks pretty killer. If they could somehow put that into a more traditional 'head' format, I think they would sell a lot of them. The idea of a one space rack unit (these days) makes little sense to me.

12. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Man, that's a good point. That Demeter setup in a micro chassis would slay!

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I can see why they are using the form factor they have, since it keeps the boards and layout of the pre the same, but I think they are losing HUGE sales due to that old fashioned form factor. Something the size of the Glock Blue Soul or a touch smaller would open up a big market for them IMO.

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA

+1

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I was very interested in the Carbines for quite a while.
    For a lot of people there seem to be some cabs that work better with the M's than others.
    I prefer an amp that doesn't have a strong voice to it, to the point that certain mainstream cabs don't synergize well with it.

The Demeter HBP-1 is a very neutral-sounding preamp with just a bit of tubish-warmth to it.
    Most that have used the Demeter Minnie power section report that it sounds pretty neutral with a warm, roundish type tone.

As KenJ says, the Mesa & the Demeter should sound very different.

The Demeter should match up well with a far wider variety of cabs than the Carbine amps do.

Not putting the Carbines down; they apparently do have their own special Mojo that when matched with certain cabs, a lot of bass players will like; DSFDF, and all that; YMMV.

16. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I also ran the m6, very similar to the m9 while owning the Demeter HBP-1
    I too prefer the tone and clarity of the Demeter, still own the Demeter while the M6 (Fathom) although a great amp has been moved along.

IMG_4103.

LoPHATAX410-2.

17. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I like this form factor :D

minnie1.

18. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Demeter is always a mecca of tone. The M9 is handsome, but I'd go after the Demeter.

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That is about as cool as it gets. Seriously though, if that company would make a version of their all in one amp in a unit roughly the size of a Streamliner, or a bit larger, I think they would really have something.

Guys looking for a lightweight rig with big power aren't (for the most part) interested in a single space rack unit. Rack tuners are a thing of the past pretty much, and most know those power conditioners aren't necessary (and even can do some harm from what I remember). So, no real reason to have even a two space rack any more.

Edit: I think you remember posting that the Monique guy is designing a bag that will fit the preamp, the Demeter amp, and I assume cables. That would do it to for many IMO!

20. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Rack-width components and heavy gear are in my past and won't be making a come-back. These days, my preference is for gear that's similar in size and weight to my Acoustic Image Focus, although I would willingly make an allowance to accommodate the space required for tubes.

As much as I admire the sound of Monique, the Demeter Minnie 800D is too rich for my blood, and although the dove cage looks pretty, like Ken, I'd prefer a compact unit in a single chassis. I would probably spring for a less expensive powered Monique in a lightweight, rectilinear chassis.

As pretty as the Dove Cage and Bamboo units are, they both look relatively vulnerable, and I find the rounded top of the Dove Cage an unnecessary affectation that I'm not willing to pay extra for.