Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ma ma ma my Schroeder.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by uglybassplayer, Nov 17, 2004.

1. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Damn, now I can't get that stupid KNACK song out of my head.

Well, my 1210 arrived yesterday, and even though I only had a chance to play with it just a bit, it is one sweet cabinet :hyper: . The horn is just amazing, just like everyone has said... You can turn it up all the way with no harshness whatsoever. I'll be bringing it (along with both the 1001RB-II and the Behringer heads so I compare both) to the retreat gig I'm doing this weekend, where I'll be able to kick up the volume, open 'er up and shake some walls :bassist:

BTW: To those that might be interested, I also purchased an SKB rolling speaker bag - SKB-SPKR1. The 1210 fits in it with some room to spare, plus there's two small internal pockets for cables and a fairly large outside pocket that will accomodate the GK head as well. It should be able to fit most 2x10's with a height up to 18" and a depth of 17" (the length is 28" which should be more than enough).

I'll post pics from the gig when I return from the retreat.

Peace,

- Frank.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That's :cool:

I'm hoping to get mine this week, too :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

3. "Get the Knack!" out of your head. Now I'll be singing all day too.

I just wonder how many people out there will get the title. IMHO you need to be at least 40 to remember that song.

Anyway about the cabinet. I must hear one of those tweeters. That's been the problem with every cabinet I've ever heard. (And I haven't heard the really high endy ones: Berg, Aggie, Accugroove, etc.) Sounds like a tone monster. I'm really gonna hafta check out the website. Anyone have the URL handy?

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    www.schroedercabinets.com

5. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    BTW, It looks like Jorg has been experimenting on where to place the horn... Most of the earlier pictures I've seen of the 1210's have the horn located in the center of the right side. My cabinet has the horn positioned in the upper right corner (as in the pics of most of the 1212's I've seen). I assume he's settled on this spot for it on all of the small boxes now?

- Frank.

6. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm assuming that for purposes of the song you're pronouncing it "Sherr-oder" :D

7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

Your oppinion is terribly wrong :). I'm 16 and I fully got the title.

8. I'm so relieved!:D I pretty much listen only to Christian music now, so I don't know what the stations are playing from the old school. But I'm going back to the dark side, I want to get some more influences, and be able to talk sensibly with people about current music.

On tweeter placement, I wouldn't think it would make any difference in sound, except maybe off axis. I would have to believe it's for convenience or manufacturability. ( wow, 8 syllables, not bad - I'll have to lay off the sugar.)

Stay low, enjoy your Scha-roeder.

9. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Saw this thread and couldn't resist stopping by. I'm still holding for my 21012. BTW, I love the thread title. I hope to be singing that real soon myself!

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    congrats, ubp.

they're great speaker systems for live gigs!

have a blast!

11. I also got it (@ 22), but only because of the Janet Reno's Dance Party skit on SNL years back. :) I went to high school with a kid who claimed his dad was the orignal Knack bassist, but I never bothered to confirm it, but maybe I'll try.

12. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Just got word from Jorg that mines on it's way! It should be here Monday. :hyper:

13. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Funny thing is I saw the title of the thread and at first thought he was doing a version of the "Mitchell" theme song from MST3K.

:D

14. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Well, I'm back from the retreat that we played at this past weekend and as promised, here is my Schroeder review.

First off there's little use trying to make any comparisons to my other gear because there were too many new variables... New head, new cab, new band (first gig I've played out with them). The gig was a senior high youth retreat with a modest crowd of about 120 youth, plus 30 or 40 adult advisors at a Presbyterian camp and conference center in Johnsonburg, NJ. The room we played in is setup like an amphitheater with a sunken stage area surrounded on three sides by several rising tiers of seats. The stage and risers were all carpeted and the ceiling consisted of acoustic tiles. My setup consisted of my Redwood Cirrus 5 string, the 1001RB-II going into the Schroeder 1210. The soundguy used the DI (post eq) to feed the PA

My sound was, in a word, MASSIVE! As many of you already know the GK has a really punchy, fairly hi-fi sound (which I really like). I started with all of the controls flat (including the bass eq), with the boost and master at 12 o'clock and the input gain at 8 o'clock . WAY TOO LOUD! So I rolled back the master to 9 o'clock, turned down the volume on the Cirrus to about 1/2 and that's where it stayed for most of the weekend. The GK never even broke a sweat... the fan never kicked in once. The Schroeder is just an amazing cabinet! None of the other guys in the band could believe that THAT MUCH SOUND was coming out of that tiny little box. During soundcheck we went to play Bon Jovi's "It's My Life" and when I hit the low B the one guitarist just stopped, started laughing and said that he thought I found the "Brown Note" because he just crapped his pants! The soundguy was in heaven... He said the rig sounded so full that he debated about not even having me go through the PA at all... In the end he decided to run it anyway to even out the sound. We all had a blast... The kids were WAY into the music... Of course a few of the advisors thought it was too loud and hung out outside whenever we played, but we expected that.

I want to give a big THANK YOU to Jorg... I finally have a rig that's about as compact as can be, yet knocks you on your butt like a freight train :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Peace,

- Frank.

15. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I emailed a friend who took a bunch of pics of the band with her digital camera, so I'm waiting to get them.

Here's a rather poor (bad lighting) pic I took of the setup before I packed for the retreat...

[​IMG]

16. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Yeah, I just got mine (410) and it's pretty amazing....and Jorg is a very cool guy, too!

17. I am constantly surprised by the songs the "youngins" know.

Just the other day my 14 yr old got me on that stupid:
    Warning very stupid addictive song below

"oogg a chaa gaa, oogg a chagaa" Hooked on a feeling and I cn't get it out of my head :spit:

At least now I have the Knack :) :) :)

18. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    My 21012 is here! Won't be able to try it out until this Saturday though.

19. I think I'm gonna have a 1210, soon.:)