MAbey Im just a noob

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Rumple, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Rumple

May 12, 2005
    Alright so I had a couple shots and we started playing are set. I had problems with reference to my position on the neck due to fact that I had no visual on my fret location. I have a warwick thumb and it has no fret inlays as a reference point except for on the top of the neck....... warwick players will know what I mean. So anyway with all the strobes, crazy light show b.s I found myself lost in a couple of songs that had a lot of different positions. With no reference of frets I found this to be challenging. Mabey I am too dependant on the fret dots? Anyway was wondering if this is a prob that anyone else had had, or suggetstions. PRACTICE in the dark? Comments needed THANKS!
  2. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It happened to me year ago...wierd lighting on stage and I couldn't see my fret dots, and duffed a few notes. Ever since, I practice with my eyes closed.
  3. +1. :)
  4. +1 on the eyes closed.

I think we all flubbed a note or two when you start off with a blacked out stage and then they start in with the strobes and what not.

I would practice my scales in two octaves with out looking, usually staring at a TV screen or what ever. Then switch to doing the arpeggios in two octaves. It seem to do the trick, most of the time now I don't look at the fingerboard at all. Most of this came from seeing early videos of myself and how my eyes would be fixed on the fingerboard. It looked amateurish and took away a point or two in the performance department IMO.

Just practice with out looking. eyes closed, dark room, (watch out for that chair :smug: ) whatever. It will become second nature.

Pardon the pun, but look at it from Stevie Wonders point of view.
    Keyboard, drums, etc....
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Try it without the couple of shots.
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  7. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    well, as far as the shots go, i once had the theory that if i practiced altered, i could play under any circumstance.
    this kinda worked, but, as i age, i get better results staying straight.
    i don't even have a beer anymore when i play, unless it's just a jam.
    but, that's just me. YMMV.
  8. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Just randomly retune your bass. It's cheaper than the drugs and alchohol.
  9. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Yeah I'm addicted to the damn dots too. My solution is to use a paper hole punch to punch out some dots from white contact 'paper' (you know, the sticky white plastic stuff). Punch out a bunch of dots and stick them on, can't tell the difference from a few feet away. You can put them on the top edge of the neck too where you can see them but no one else can.
  10. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    So if the problem was visual, why mention the alcohol? If you can't play well after doing shots, don't drink. If that's not the problem, then don't blame it on alcohol or the bass or whatever. Just fix it...
  11. I played a small show in my singer/guitarist's garage, with the lights out. The audience liked it, but it was hard on us.

I find that in my playing, as long as I get the first note right, I can relate to that. It's my start. My fingers know their way to the other frets from there. But finding that one starting fret... I just 'felt' for it, just aimed. I played one note very light so I could hear the way that fret sounded, and adjusted accordingly. To my own surprise, I found that I shifted up-down (even multiple frets) and found myself bang on the starting fret I needed.

I say, just feel for it before the song starts. The rest is muscle memory imho.
  12. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    What would be cool is to have some glow in the dark contact paper so you can see even with the lights out!

I've seen the basses with led dot inlays....a little too much IMO, but if you had some very subtle glow in the dark stickers, than that would be cool!
  13. Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    you can get glow in the dark paint, try putting a small amount on the fret markers or on the frets themselves
  14. Guess I'm lucky, but I never have this issue.

I think it may be that you just need to know your instrument, feel where you are on the neck - if you are in touch with your bass, it shouldn't be a problem.

Part of our set is a song where there is a lone spotlight on the singer and the drummer and I are in total darkness. I haven't had a problem so far.

I also suggest laying off the booze when you play - it seriously does not make you better. Truth.
  15. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    If ya need temporay dots try glow in the dark vinyl tape with peel-off paper backing. They use this stuff in the theatre all the time (usually on the floor) so that set dressers can know where a dresser/chair/table/giant revolving stage should go during a blackout.
  16. Practice DRUNK and in the dark if that's the way you're going to play gigs.

Be sure to tape it, see how it sounds.

17. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    When I was first playing dark stages, electrical tape on the back of the neck where the fret dots would be. Going all the way around, they're unobtrusive, but you can certainly feel them, they don't get in the way of slides or anything. I'd say it's worth a try.

Other than that, don't drink and practice with your eyes shut.
  19. Rumple

May 12, 2005
    Thanks for everyones feedback. I'm currently now using hole paper puch saver thingys at the top of my neck and it seems to work pretty good! Thanks everyone glad to know I'm not the only one that has had issues :smug:
  20. I just have one of those "attaboy" star stickers on the 5th and 7th frets on my Jazz Bass.