1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mac & Cheese and like substance appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Oct 1, 2009.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Share your love for it, tell us how you eat this great food.

Personally, I like Mac & Cheese with a little bit of butter, a little extra cheese, some sort of protein (Ground meat, left over sausage, tuna.... (Tuna is actually pretty good) or chicken.) and as most of my food, mixed with this:

[​IMG]

I believe i have about 20 boxes of mac and cheese in my closet (I am broke, yes, so i don't mind $1 per meal goodness)

PS this is the shiznizna! http://www.primosgourmetfood.com

I

2. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    It's been a while since I've had a good bowl of Mac & Cheese. My brothers and I used to live off of that stuff. We had the process of making it nearly perfected; no more overcooked, mushy noodles or premature cheese clumpage.

While we typically ate it plain, some cut up hot dogs would be a good partner for the dish. I know people that like bacon bits, Lowry's Seasoned Salt, and even ketchup in their Mac. That's a little obscure for my palate. Bacon bits would be good if they're the real pieces that you can buy near the salad dressings - Bacos wouldn't fly, though.

[​IMG]

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    BACON! that's a good idea, why didn't i think of that!

4. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    this crap on crackers is fantastic with a little mustard.

deviled_ham.

5. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Mmmmmmmm, Mac n cheese. I like mine with bacon and cheese. Lot's of cheese. And bacon. And Sriracha sauce. And bacon. And cheese.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i make my own mexican mac and cheese:

mexican pasta (need to brown it, with EVOO, before adding water/tomato sauce)
    some tomato sauce with added spices
    water
    fresh ground pepper
    tad of salt
    cumino
    garlic powder
    tobasco/chulula/crystal (whatever i have at the time)
    cheddar

7. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Ever try chilli mac?

You just make mac n cheese and put chilli in it , now this may sound weird or gross but its great i love it, me and my friends were drunk and we cooked this and it was amazing!

8. I do my Mac and Cheese with an Alfredo Base with Swiss and cheddar. Add some bacon, seasoning salt, panko, thyme, spices, and cavatelli. Good stuff.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I won't eat Mac & Cheese without:

huy-fong-sriracha-garlic-hot-sauce_.

I also use less milk than they suggest on the box and add extra cheese powder. (They sell it in a can)

10. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Chili Mac used to be a staple in some of the midwestern diners I used to hit in the 70's. You could get a huge bowl of the stuff on the cheap. I actually grew to like the stuff. I'm also a fanboy for the Mac n' Cheese with Bacon school of thought. Now I'm getting hungry.

11. Mac n' cheese is the king of all comfort foods. from a box with powdered cheese, to the fully homemade variety, it's a food not to be reckoned with!!!

When I do boxed powdered, I leave out the milk, cut the butter in half, and add a few slices of American cheese. Good times. When I make it homemade, sharp chedder and gruyère is where it's at!!!

12. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    +1

Or with baked beans on top.

13. Chili Mac, absolutely- though I would just throw chili into a bowl of mac noodles(no typical velveeta/American-type cheese, although I'm sure some kind of cheese made it in there eventually, and onions. PILES of onions).

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
  15. When i was young, my family was very poor, so i got to know the blue-box VERY well. My mom tried very hard to spice it up a bit, and for as little money as possible.

My favorite was very simple to make, we called it "Ramen-Mac-a-Chicken-Cheese"... it just consisted of 1 box of KRAFT mac 'n cheese and 1 package of the chicken flavored ramen (maruchan). We made both noodles seperate, drained the water out of both, mixed the ramen noodles with the maccaroni, then added both the cheese powder and ramen powder. Bon'apetite!

Now that i have been, more or less, vegan for 13 years mac and cheese isn't really on my radar. Most vegan cheese substitute is abysmal. However, if i crave mac n cheese, Amy's brand has a vegan frozen mac n' cheese and is pretty close to the goodness of Stouffers.

16. I know this stuff quite well, collage and all. I like mine with ground beef (or tuna), some corn, the hottest salsa that I can find, and some extra real cheese. In fact, I am off to make some right now.

lowsound

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA

I am not sure if Mac & Cheese is not vegan friendly. That cheese not not be real!

18. True true true.

On an unrelated note, Oreos ARE, in fact, vegan. It's 100% chemicals in those glorious little cookies.

19. I like mine with feta cheese and some Parmesan cheese on it. And ditton on hot sauces.

No chorizo?