1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mac Gurus! I need your assistance!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassfacekevin, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Want to become my personal hero? Please help me find out what's going on here.

I am running a G4 1.5mhz powerbook (17") and long story short, the computer starts making hideous clanking noises located around where the HD is, and the computer stops being able to boot up OSX. So I assume it's a HD failure. I wasn't too perturbed as I have 95% of my data backed up, so I bite the bullet and decide to replace the HD.

So I replace the hard drive, get it all back together and I turn on the computer to see if the disk will start spinning, and it does. So I'm thinking "good." But then I notice that I'm getting a message that it's trying to boot off a network (flashing globe) and then I get a message that it can't find the OS (flashing little mac icon, and then a question mark over a file folder)

So I go to install OSX, but when I put the disc in when I'm getting the "can't find OS" notification, I turn the computer off, and then turn it on and hold down "C" the computer dosen't recognize the CD and will not boot off of it. Am I doing something wrong? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks for any and all help!

~K

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hehehe, 18 hours and no response.....we don't have any Mac "gurus" around here.

We do have Mac "users" though. If you wanted any attention from them, your best bet would have been to start a thread with a title of something like...."Help me with a Microsoft problem". That is their mating call to come out and bash MS.

:D

-Mike

3. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    You are correct in the holding down the C key at startup time should boot from the cd-rom. Assuming you have a legit OS cd, then it could be an issue with the drive itself. You can also try the older way of doing this;

Option-Command-Shift-Delete

Not sure if that will work or not as I dont have my powerbook to try it with.

Aaron

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Hmmm. I'm thinking that there are a couple of possiblities here. The OS, or partial OS installed on the HD is is not recognizing the drivers of the CD.

I would recommend this. Tackle one problem at a time. First get a clean working version of OSX established.

Hook the HD, or the laptop to another computer and restart the HD holding down the "T" key, so you get the firewire symbol.

Then use a firewire connection to a second mac. See if the Hard drive appears on desktop. If it doesn't, you might have a bad HD, or a bad connection internally (check the jumpers and stuff).

If it does, then and re-install OS-X on it.

Once this is complete, see if you can get it to boot on that machine. If you still have CD errors, then at least you've got a functional OS to work with and your solution is probably a search, sniff, and download away.

5. Mac User here:

Have you tried the Apple Support Forums? I find it to be quite useful.

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Or not many Mac users have had to boot from the CD because of such a problem. ;)

Anyway, I'd hit a Mac support forum like mac-forums.com.

7. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    You could also try macrumors.com

I have had a similar problem in the past--I had to update the firmware. That seemed to fix the problem.

8. Yeah, I'm on macforums, but I just thought I'd drop a line here, because response times here are great, and I figured that someone would know what was going on here. Thanks!

~K

9. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Well, I did have a look to see if I could lend a helping hand, but it turned out that this thread wasn't about burgers, after all :meh: .

I was thoroughly McDisappointed, I can tell you!