Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mac guys, can you help me out?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Took a chance on something off the bay, since I was wanting to give mac a try due to stability, so I picked up an ibook. The "chance" part of it was, while a power seller with good feedback, they knew very little about it. No processor speed listed, and just a "guess" on hdd spec. It seemed to look like the newer models, and it stated it had 384 mb of ram, and the USB ports, which led me to think it might be worth rolling the dice on being a fairly current one. About $525 later, it should be on it's way to me now.

This has OS 9.1, and I know zero about it. How do you look up your hardware profiles on this OS to find out what all is loaded into it? I'd like to know Any way of telling from the pics approximate age? What would you guess the minimum processor speed should be? I plan on getting an external USB hard drive to use with this, and my home PC as well.

Biggest gamble I have taken off the net, hope I don't wind up a sucker.

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Hey Tim,

I am far from an expert but I suspect you may have one of the first generation iBooks there. Check out these for info:

http://www.powerbookcentral.com/features/ibookmodels.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBook

When you work out exactly which model you have, then I highly recommend you head over here

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

and download the workshop manual for your model. That link was working up until the time I posted it....they tend to get pulled down quite quickly ;)

Let us know how you go :)

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Go to that little Apple icon at the top left of the screen. Scroll down to "About this Mac." Presto!

4. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    If I could only remember the joke about speeding up Macs... Something to do with the speed of gravity or something :D :p

5. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England

:rolleyes:

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah, if only you could make yourself look stupid. Good thing you can't remember it. That'd be embarrassing. :oops:

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yes, we are in a no-Mac-bashing zone. Thank you and good day. :bag:

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    TimCole,

Mac OS 9.1 was released in January 2001.

Hope this helps.

9. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Tim, do you have an Apple store near you? They have something called a "Genius Bar." It's very cool; just show up with your Mac, ask questions, and somebody will help you out.

After years of using a PC, I just converted to a Mac a few weeks ago. I'm no expert, by far, but I like the vibe I get from the Mac community.

Tom

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks for the replies guys, from what I have found, I believe it is a G3 of some type. Not really what I was hoping for, but from researching online prices, I shouldn't get beat up too bad on price if I decide to resell it to get one more powerful.

Just have to wait until it shows up, this seller is proving to be a bit of a jack hole, no returned emails, short and a bit unpleasant on the phone, and he refused to send it USPS priority, UPS ground only for anything over 1 pound.

11. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England

It will definitely be a G3, Tim as this is the only processor the iBook has ever been fitted with up until the current models which are G4s. The all white models kicked in at 500Mhz/64MB RAM as standard.
    I hope you get your difficulties with the seller sorted as they are sweet little machines and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Until the Mac G.A.S kicks in and you start lusting after a 17" Powerbook :D

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks unharmed, what would you guess this ones processor speed to be? It stated to have 384 mb of ram, which is pretty decent.

I really hope this isn't a slow lemon, I didn't really even have the extra cash to buy it, just really wanted it to take to work....my new job has a lot of boring down time. One of the major reasons I wanted to go mac, was because of the garage band software, which I now found isn't likely to be used on this due to processing power, and probable lack of a DVD drive. How hard/easy are these to upgrade?

13. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England

No probs. Like I said, I am long way from being an expert on them but I have done a reasonable amount of research as I have had an on-again, off-again plan to buy one for the last couple of years.

Even the very first all-white models were upgradeable to 384MB of RAM so this doesn't tell us too much unfortunately. I am fairly certain (WR, you want to confirm?) that all the all-white iBooks actually came pre-installed with OS X. You will definitely need OS X to run Garage Band. I suspect it will probably run on your machine without too many hassles.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    iBooks are g4s now.

and they topped out at 900 mhz. g3s before that.

I believe the RAM cap in the early ones was 640, not 384, but I can't remember, either way, RAM DIMMs have gotten more efficient, you could fit 640 in there for sure, probably even 1GB if you found the right DIMM, the OS can handle it, ya know?

gotta run now, but
    www.macupdate.com
    www.versiontracker.com

are vital for software needs

there is a program that has teh entire history of every computer apple made, I forget what it's called, do a search for 'mac history' or something.

15. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I should have been a bit clearer. I meant that they were upgradeable to at least 384MB. The current G4 iBooks have a maximum of 640MB so I'm guessing the earlier models couldn't take any more. Incidentally, it will cost me $200AUD or so to upgrade brand new 1Ghz G4 to 640MB of RAM to give you some kind of indication on price. It will hopefully be cheaper for you with a second hand machine.

16. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    yeah, to find the processor speed, go into the apple menu, and scroll down to "apple system profiler" This will tell you everything that is in your mac, and will also confirm the amount of ram.

hope dat helped,
    slicks

17. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    oh, and yeah, you would most likely want to get a newer mac if what you were going for was garage band. It would be super spendy, if not impossible, to upgrade that thing to g4 specs, i would think.

at this point, you would be happiest to just sell all of your peecee play-things, and use the money to buy an apple computer.

but, you must all beware, by buying a mac, you are subjecting yourselves to the devil's handiwork. :rolleyes:
    http://objective.jesussave.us/propaganda.html

slicks :D

18. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    That was a very strange, yet funny link.
    Some serious wacked-out sh*t.

19. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    The only requirement for Garage Band is that your machine can run OS 10.2.6. This version of the OS can run on any G3, G4, or G5 with built-in USB and at least 128MB of RAM. You should be fine.

20. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well hot damn, didnt know that. But alas, it would be painfully slow on my 500mhz g3... poor imac, someone should "old yeller" it right in the mother board :bawl:

slicks

:edit: oh, and if you think that part of the site is messed up, try looking at the other site. Good thing it is a hoax. i mean, look at their online store...