Mac OSX help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by parrott, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Erm, just a couple of questions (well, the manual isn't very helpful)

1. Is there any way I can "auto-reconnect" to the internet, for when I get disconnected from my dial-up, so I can get the computer to automatically reconnect to the net?

2. Is there any way I can do a screen shot? Like the "Print Screen" button with Windoze?

Thanks in advance
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    man, i wish i had an osx computer here, i know exactly how to do the first thing but i don't know where it is :(

second thing - go into applications > utilities. there's a program called 'Grab.' that should take care of it.
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm still stuck on OS 9.1 - no point for me to upgrade until all of my apps run native in X, anyway.

Anyhoo, I bet that the keyboard shortcuts to do screen captures haven't changed. Search help for 'screen capture' - it's a funky series of key combos (like zapping your PRAM - you'll feel like a jazz pianist!) but very flexible - by holding down various keys, you can elect to capture the whole screen, the active window, or activate a crosshairs that will let you click and drag to select the area to capture. Other keys will determine whether you save the capture as a file or to the clipboard so you can paste it into Photoshop or other image editor. Options, options, option :D

Okay, I just tried Command+Control+Shift+Caplock+4, and that turned the cursor to a 'lens' which copies whatever window you click on to the clipboard :)

Apologies if it's all different on OSX (heck, probably not much point going any further than Jason's suggestion, anyway).

4. I'll have to try them next time I'm on that computer (probably this evening). I remember seeing something like Grab when I was looking about when I first got it, but I can't find it now.

As for the key commands - I love them, so much quicker than lots of menus, and it keeps me using my left hand, and so on.

I love Macs.
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm running DSL on OSX, and it automatically connects anytime you need it. There's a little icon at the top next to the battery icon that displays connectivity. Not sure if it's the same for modems, but you may want to click on that and see.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    My Tibook came with an application called Snapz pro X that has a few more features than the Grab utility. And yes, the keyboard shortcuts of OS9 still work on OSX.

As for the modem thing I don't know. I haven't used a modem in years.

Have you tried the apple discussion forums?
  7. Wooo, I found the Grab utility (it was in the Utilities folder.....) and I got a screen shot!

I'm gonna try some of the key commands later, I just tried the one SecretDonkey mentioned, it gave me a crosshairs, I'm not sure what it does. I suppose I should go and try and paste something somewhere.

And as for the Apple discussion forums.... I'm scared of them, I'm a right n00b on things like this.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000