1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mac related computer troubles.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tom once dead, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Today I picked up a USB mobile broadband modem to use while I'm moving house and don't have any internet hooked up. After I installed the driver program, it opened up and then crashed. I tried re opening, restarting and reinstalling but nothing has worked. I called the store and they said to call the companies support line, so I did. After an hour long call, i found out that the modem does work (on my housemates mac) and that the program won't crash if the modem isn't plugged in.
    I'm currently running OS X 10.6.8 which should be compatible with the modem.
    I really have no idea how to get this thing working.
    Anyone out there who knows about this stuff who could help me out?
    Thanks!

2. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    The very first thing I do when I have Mac problems is run Onyx ( http://www.onyxmac.com ). Then I would try running "Assist Me" under Network Preferences.

That's all the help I have

3. Cool, well I guess I'll give it a go.
    I was thinking about updating to mavericks and seeing if that fixed the problem. But if it's a settings issue then it probably won't help.

4. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Hope it helps. Onyx is a good program to run a few weeks to keep your computer running smooth. It cleans out caches and verifies your startup disc. It's sort of like what Norton Utilities use to be.

5. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    If you haven't reinstalled your OS in a long time and your having issues, you may have a corruption causing this issue. Back up your data to an external hard drive with the Time Machine software built in to your Mac. Then erase your hard drive and reinstall Mac 10.6. If you don't know what these terms mean, Google "Mac time machine" and "Mac erase and install".

6. Okay, I downloaded onyx, but I think I might have a different version to you. I can't see network preferences or assist me anywhere.
    Up the top it has; verify, maintenance, cleaning, utilities, automation, parameters and info.

7. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Network Prefs are different then Onyx. I run "Automation" on Onyx and select everything except "Logs..." I like to hang onto those so I can keep track of any crashes I've had.

It takes a little while to run it. You have to let your mac sit and do it's thing. After you restart it. Go to System Prefs> Network and then hit the assist me button. It will help you set up your wireless network.

If all that doesn't work, I'm afraid I can't help much more. Someone else suggested reinstalling the OS. I've owned 5 macs and have worked on them since the early 90s. I've never once had to reinstall the OS. I'm not saying it's the wrong thing to do, but I'm skeptical

8. Alright, well I'm not sure what I did or what changed, but now it's all working fine. Maybe onyx did change something that I'm not aware of. Looks like a pretty useful app.
    Thanks for your help dude!

9. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Cool!. Glad it helped.