1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mac stuffed, pretty much established it is a hardrive issue

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jezz8me, Mar 11, 2008.

1. title says it but i am wondering in i can easily just remove my hardrive and replace it. I have all my files backed up so that is ot an issue

the problem is a mix of minor ones like music cutting in and out and flickering unless i move the mouse, screen locking up if left for to long and things like that. A hardrive repair does not work so i figure something is wrong with it. I am just out of my one year warranty and don't have apple care because that is where they make you pay more >.<

and for you pc users i am planning on getting a pc for programing and gaming and using my mac (shared with bro) for music and internet because i cant be bothered making sure i don't get viruses :p

macbook btw

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's good to know you won't have any problems then. :eyebrow:

3. lol that is all i just find mac's are better for basic stupid people operations and also for music related stuff and pc's are better for more advanced processes bassically because of modablilty and being used by most

4. The hard drive in my MacBook just crashed and I know a few other people that this happened to as well. Before you go replacing you HD try reformating it. That might solve your problem.

lowsound

5. yea the problem is it doesn't work when i try to repair dist or re-format of anything

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    You can buy Mac Care and that extends your warrenty two years. It covers all the hardware. Sometimes they'll let you buy it just after the first year. On a Mac Book it cost 249$

7. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    If you're not 100% sure it's the hard drive, take in to a shop. I dunno if they'd still fix it after you tore around inside. IMO/E, unless you've had data corruption, what you're seeing is most likely not a bad HDD. System hangups are usually something else. Do those songs that "skip" work if you keep moving the mouse?

Check out this if you want to DIY:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf
    I've had Macs where you had to take the whole ****ing computer apart just to get the HDD out :eek: pretty annoying, looks easier now though. I'm pretty sure they just use regular laptop HDDs.

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    OmFg yOuR MAC diEd r0flm40 skatez0rz!!!11 PC's FTW LAWL

9. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    Mine died a couple of months ago. Apple's QC is gone...

10. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    haha, it's not a QC issue. They use good parts, it's just impossible to tell if they're going to fail in 1 month or 10 years... Macs aren't invincible, they die just as much as any computer. At least they've got good CS (at least I hope so)

11. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI

Mac's ARE PC's!!! No one freakin' gets it. They don't run off any magical futureistic components that everyone is buttered up to believe. Same thing for guts as any other computer.

12. Macs aren't impervious to problems like everyone thinks they are. The OS is generally more stable than windows is and less so than most Linux OS, but easier to use. Every computer has the same hardware (within reason) and hardware problems are limited to one type of machine. My harddrive crash was a hardware caused crash, not a software crash like my 4 or 5 windows HD crashes were. I have never had a problem with mac software, but I know people that have. My HD lasted two years of me running it hard and many times I would have it overclocking. In fact I am somewhat surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

Replacing a HD or RAM in a mackbook is about as easy as it gets, take out the battery, then there is a little spot that is marked HD and RAM that you pop out and then you have instant access to both of them. I don't even think you need to take any screws out.

lowsound

13. But but but...they're supposed to just work....

14. But Albert Einstein, Caesar Chavez and John Lennon all used Macs you HATOR! :) :D

15. The software does. Hardware is hardware, it is going to have problems no matter what software is running on it.

lowsound

16. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    and for you pc users i am planning on getting a pc for programing and gaming and using my mac (shared with bro) for music and internet because i cant be bothered making sure i don't get viruses :p

Don't kid yourself man. Macs get viruses too. It's not been much of an issue in the past because macs were mostly used in the education system, whereas PCs were generally in business and government, as well as much more prevalent in the private sector; and that's where those punks who twist up worms and viruses and such want to cause trouble!

17. well i may have had a few corrupted files but nothing big. When move my mouse the song does play normally and i only thought it was the hardrive because it will not repair

18. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    It could be the hard drive, but those things don't really narrow it down enough to be sure. Hard drives are cheap so you could replace it and if the problem is still there then whatever. Backup everything and run antivirus/spyware, run a memory test like MemTest86 (not sure if it runs on Mac), try to reformat/reinstall the OS if nothing else works...
    Google turned up this, it has a lot of tools you can use
    http://www.pure-mac.com/diag.html

19. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    I understand they are not invincible. But I have 2 other G4's bought on the year 2000 and still work perfectly.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    tired-yawn.