Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mac Tiff files as PC Tiff files?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I didn't know there was a difference. I burned a bunch of .tif files onto a CD off a Mac. And now on my PC I can't open them. Is there a converter or PC program that opens Mac .tif files?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    there shouldn't be a difference.

maybe change the extension to .tiff instead of .tif

I don't know, I've seen both extensions used. Might be two slightly different formats

I personally can't stand tiff files, every time I use them there are problems, and often times they have gotten corrupted on me, AND sometimes I've encountered imposter Tiffs, that SAY they are tiffs but they are really graphics exchange gifs!

at any rate check over at

www.versiontracker.com

I use a program called Graphic Converter, which converts into about 50 different file formats, I don't know if it is available on PC, but I'm sure there are many apps just like it.

edit: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/25555

windows version of graphic converter

edit: looks like that one is only commercial no share/freeware or dmeo

but..here is www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/24649]Another one[/URL]

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, I'm not liking them so far. But apparently they hold together the best and have the least amount of pixilation or at least my teacher says.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    .PSD or .PDF are my choice for cross-platform lossless images.

But then I only use Adobe graphic programs

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, they ARE a raw format much like .wav or .aif in music terms.

but that doesn't make them any pleasant to work with.

edit: .pdf and .psd are my preferred formats too. for loss-less cross platform stuff.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah this thread has 5 replies and 1 view. Somethings screwy and I can't help thinking it's my fault.

Edit: Whoa, now it's fixed... I think that's my fault too.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    :( that's so sad.

don't worry, it's not a glitch, or your fault, go read Bug reports Money Mike brought this up too, apparently paul deliberately set this system up to reduce server burden because, the views column is one of the biggest stresses on the server because it has to update all the time, so he set a delay system...it's kind of weird though.

8. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Very odd..I've never had a problem with a cross-platform TIFF or TIF file..Maybe I'm lucky. I send out 5-10 tradeshow panel TIFF's at a time and never had a come back. Either I'm lucky or I'm just DAMN good :D

9. The only time I use Tiff's is when going to print. If I want cross platform loss-less images I will stay in .psd form (basically anytime I am on a computer). I of course convert to .jpg for web use.

10. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I use tif files daily on both platforms and absolutely love 'em. (Being in the graphics/print industry will convince you that .tif and .pdf files are a VERY good thing.)

If you have Photoshop or something similar, try this:

• Insert the cd or media with files on it.
    • Open the PROGRAM that you'll be using first
    • Within the program, select File>Open>(filename)

Most of the time this will work when simply double-clicking the Mac .tiff file will not.

Don't forget to re-save the image once it's open, so you don't have to go through the process next time.