Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mac users..............

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, May 25, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Office has been available on the mac for quite some time.* :eyebrow:

*predating windows

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yes....but........this is a new one. With some upgrades for you guys.

Slowing turning you into M$ users. Can you say "Outlook for e-mail"???? :D

-Mike

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    This one is supposed to be truly integrated with the new OSX. It's still a Microsoft product so it's gotta blow.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    this is just another upgrade, nothing special, the first OS X release of Office surpassed the windows version in features and speed.

I use textedit for most of my word processing anyway.(only use office for more complex formatting options)

6. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    TextEdit is the Shiz. I was so not into SimpleText.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's amazing how much you think you need in a word processor, but then when presented with a simple app like textedit you realize you don't need 90% of what you thought you needed.

But as I said, some work, you need an extensive word processor that does everything for you. But for the vast majority of essays or papers or poetry or lyrics or whatever that I might write, textedit more than does the job, and it was free.

8. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I do all of my HTML and Java in it as well. I was impressed, and yes, it's FREE.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Plus .rtf is a pretty neat format.(of course the .doc support is invaluable)

10. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I'm using AppleWorks right now. Word blows.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    So does appleworks. Well, not really, but Apple really has to overhaul it. They have proven time and time again that they know how to make totally kick ass software. But of all their software solutions, Appleworks has languished, virtually forgotten, for far too long.

They are not contractually obliged to deal with MS anymore, and mac fans would be more than happy to ditch yet another MS program forever. And it would sweeten the OS X deal even more.

12. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Agreed.

I can't stand office. And yes blisshead, 99% of powerpoint presentations suck and blow at the same time. When I use PP, I make SURE that my presentation does only one at any given point.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Perhaps you remember the old MS office competitor Clarisworks? Well, apple bought it out a while back, and it became appleworks, they supported it well for a while, but it hasn't had a substantial update in a long time, and it's pretty much a stagnant old piece of software, of course, I used MS office '98 throughout high school, so it's not really like you need anything that special with a word processor. However, I'm sure that if Apple were to pour some TLC into Appleworks and overhaul the performance, UI and functionality, then it could be a very capable MS Word replacement.

14. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    It's funny that Internet Explorer and Office v.X are the only bits of software on my Mac that are from Microsoft... and they're both the only bits of software I have on my Mac that ever crash.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

you mean you don't use one(or more) of the following: safari(best), Omniweb(good), Camino(2nd best), Mozilla(good), Firefox(good), Shiira(fast), Opera(good)

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I had clarisworks on my old Mac classic. Actually, the wp was fine.

17. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I use Office:X, it's been very helpful for me due to the equation editor which I needed for my algorithms class last semester.

I like Excel for flowcharting because you can use connectors that will stay with the object it's connected to when you move said object. For some reason, connectors aren't available in Word, but all the other drawing objects are available (same in O2K on PC).

18. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Of course, the punchline to my post was that after I made the post, Safari crashed. In it's defense, though, I had two windows with about 5 tabs each running, so I'm not sure that it was entirely the software's fault.

Why would I use any of the others, anyway? How many browsers does one person need?

19. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
  20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I pretty much only use safari, but I keep camino around because it's based on a different architecture(gecko vs Webcore) so if I ever have a problem with a webpage(there are a couple safari unfriendly ones out there) Camino usually does the job.

Also, it's neat to see what can be done in regards to web browsers, for the longest time it was just netscape and IE, alternatives were never taken seriously, but now, there are so many Quality browsers, all providing better speed, better looks, and better(imo) features over Netscape and IE.