Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mac VS PC

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I will probably buy a new computer soon. I am on windows base machine right now. I use XP, it work well and it's stable. I am looking for those new Imac right now, 1.8Ghz 17" monitor.
    Why a Mac?
    They look cool :)
    They are great machine, fast and reliable.
    It's always fun to have something new also.

Any reason I shouldn't go with an Imac?

2. Are you a gamer? If not, then a mac would probably be good for you. If you are a gamer, don't even touch a mac.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I should have said it in the first post! :)

Well, basic recording (midi and audio)
    Internet
    Basic word function
    photo, personal stuff, nothing pro
    no games (i just prefer the console gaming)

That's about it.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Here's something to consider - even though I probably should, I'm not even bothering with anti-virus software on my Mac. Haven't had a virus since '97 or '98. You enjoy *relative* freedom from viruses, trojans, Outlook exploiters (even when using Outlook for Mac!) and the like. Adware? Spyware? You can almost fuhgettaboutit. Whether that's because the Mac is less vulnerable or because no one bothers to write viruses and spyware for the Mac is irrelevant - the bottom line is that you won't have to spend time dealing with it or worrying about it.

For *basic* recording, Apple's Garageband, which is free (bundled with new Macs), is really nice for what it is. I don't know about the midi capabilities of GB - bet WR does, though. Apple also has thoroughly decent apps bundled to manage photo collections, as well as basic video editing, address book, calendar and the like. None of those apps are just knock-your-socks-off good, but they are very well integrated, which makes up for the shortcomings, IMO.

Right out of the box, you get a computer that does just about everything you could want (you'll probably want to add MS Office for the word processing - though it will make you appreciate the elegant simplicity, if limited ability, of the native Apple apps).

On the other hand, if you've got a windows box that is stable that you're happy with, you may well find yourself having to give up certain conveniences and learn to love and appreciate new ones. You may or may not want to do that. I think Macs are a good solution for people who gripe about having to keep their machines running on an even keel, but you don't seem to fit that category.

You should look closely at what Mac OS has to offer and decide whether or not it's right for you. :)

5. Just a note along what Donkey said, if you're getting a windows/linux based machine, then to avoid viruses and spyware, don't touch Internet Explorer, except for to download Mozilla Firefox. Use that instead.

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've been using a PC for several several years and just recently switched over to OSX. Unless something drastically changes I'm never going back. Go with the mac.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Stick with what you know. Get another PC.

Don't be stupid and download suspect files from the internet. Educate yourself about spyware/adware/trojans/virii. Put up a firewall, the one in SP2 works well.

A computer is at the mercy of the nut behind the keyboard.....Mac or PC.

-Mike

8. If I would have the $ i would buy a mac . So go with the mac !

9. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    If you need a computer to just do what it is supposed to do, and don't need to play the latest trendiest games, get an Apple Macintosh computer. It's good for just getting stuff done, and it's plesant to use as well. That's why all the professionals (in recording, video and graphical design business) that I know, use Macs.

10. I wish I could afford a mac..
    I personally want a G5 :p

11. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    I'd definitely try one first to see whether you get on with it or not. I know some people who *really* want to get on with macs, but just get frustrated with their way of doing things.

At the moment I run Linux on my work PC, Win XP on my home PC, and lucky enough to have an Apple Powerbook as a laptop. There are things I love and hate about all of them, and can't really say that one is definitely better than all the others.

If you're not that interested in games, mostly want to use the computer for internet/music stuff, and have the money to spare, then I don't think you can go wrong with a Mac though.

12. Or get Firefox and not need to worry about any of that. ;)

Anyhow, for me I'll always be staying with PCs, because I like computer games, but for you, who knows, a mac may suit you better.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I realize that Macs are GREAT for artistic things and that it's a solid OS that will always be a step or two ahead of whatever Gates and the boys put out but I already know PCs so well I couldn't imagine learning it all over again and I don't want to. I have some minimal mac experience...enough to vaguely get around programs but thats it. Also...I like my games. But that's just me...

brad cook

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Mac's are simply not price competitive. Plus, software availability is a major limiting factor.

BTW, did all you Mac heads know, that Microsoft wrote most of the MacOS, too?

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's becoming less and less the case with more and more indie companies like www.ibuypower.com and www.cyberpowersystem.com popping up. You can really get bang-up PCs for pretty low prices.

brad cook

16. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    :confused:

I can't think of any software that isn't available for the Macintosh platform. Except some games, of course.

I know that MS wrote much for MacOS - MS Office was written first for MacOS, as Windows wasn't back then.

MS didn't write any of Mac OS X - it is based on BSD - Berklee Software Distribution. :ninja:

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea Yea, that's what I meant to type... I was in a hurry.

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Nice...

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    There's quite a lot of software that isn't available for Macs. And it's more than just "some" games. Most of today's top game titles are, and most of the future's will probably be, available for Macs as well as PCs. However, there's a huge amount of good games that aren't best-sellers like Diablo or The Sims, and you'd be hard pressed to find those for Macs. But Yvon isn't after a game machine, so this doesn't matter. By all means, if you feel like paying a little more to get a Mac, and find them comfortable to work with, get one.

20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Diablo (and Diablo II, along with StarCraft, WarCraft and now Worlds of WarCraft) are all available for the Mac. I know, because I own both Diablo & Diablo II. The only downside is Diablo (not Diablo II) has to run in the Classic environment.

The Sims is also available for Mac. Aspyr ( www.aspyr.com ) did the port to Mac.

But, the games issue was already covered earlier. What non-game software category isn't represented on Apple's side of the fence? Can anyone answer this question?