Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mac vs. Wintel: Which one to get??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Although I have been a longtime Mac devout, I'm seriously considering a Windows machine as my next computer. I tried it once in the past and was very annoyed with the programs that came with it. Now, four years later, I've become more familiar with the Windows platform and since i have a friend who has access to a, er, truckload of inexpensive software, I could load up on good programs quite easily, something I can't do with my Mac. I also like the Wintel's more friendly user upgradeability. I plan to use the computer for musical applications. What are the pros and cons for each? what do you people use? I can't believe no one created this thread before...

Will C.:cool:

2. from a computer/network tech so you know my foundation

~not a big fan of macs
    ok well thats my view on that

~windows and recording
    first of all i would buy a clone, not a dell, not a compaq, not a packard bell, and don't buy anything that arives looking like a cow. (i will try my best not to ramble)
    clones are better because you build them, if something breaks you go get another part and replace it, if you get any of the above computers and something breaks they will keep you on the phone for 2 hours trying to figure out the problem, and then mail you a part if you need it. oh yea this is after you sit on hold for 90 minutes.
    also you get alot of garbage software that is just going to get in the way later, trust me you will be upset if you are recording your next hit and some lousy fax software or expedia crashes. i have been installing alot of windows 2000 and ME lately, now i got to call the hair club for men. your best bet is to do reseach on the musical products you want to use and go with the specs. that the product requires. there are tons of computer musicians still waiting for win 2000 drivers-just go to the tascam support page to read the hate mail. also go with a pure intel, not the celeron or a AMD atholon they are great CPU's but most music software doesn't like them. one more thing if you do choose to buy a clone look closely at the case it will be built in, rule of thumb if the case looks like a weak peice of garbage most likely the compoents inside will be. go for the name brands intel chips, asus mother boards and so on.

did i ramble?

[Edited by gruffpuppy on 11-07-2000 at 11:44 PM]

3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Not hardly enough. Thanks.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sarcasm alert!!

I just want to know what this means :

"now i got to call the hair club for men"

Do you have things like this in the US? Men sitting around in a club talking about their own or other's hair? Maybe that's why, as a British citizen, the fascination with mullets etc. is quiet baffling. But I suppose if you guys are going to clubs like this all the time, then it's not surprising - I suppose you would keep quiet about it most of the time - sort of like a "secret society" , but the clues would be there, in general conversation. Now I know why I feel so excluded - you're all in the "Hair Masons" ;)

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    OK here's the story:

1. You are already familiar with Macs

2. Macs still are the preferred platform in the music field

3. For entry level digital audio systems, Macs have superior built in audio support (i.e. it's not dependent on the quality of the sound card that came with your box).

4. Wintels do NOT have "more friendly user upgradeability" in any manner that I can think of (I use both platforms). They have gotten better in recent years but I still think the Mac has an edge here (OK, flame me).

Wintel still leads mainly in lower cost, period. Yes, there is lots more software available for Wintel (esp. games and technical/scientific stuff) but in MUSIC software ALL the flagship programs are available for both platforms.

As far as "loading up on good software" well, if piracy is on your mind and lowest cost is your goal, go Wintel that's a no brainer.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Hair Club for Men is a US company that advertises baldness treatments on TV all the time. He meant he's tearing his hair out over all the problems.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ahhh... yes, but I know what it really means.....just wait for my journalistic expose of the "Hair Masons"; how they vitually run some small towns with their nepotism and compulsory kick-backs, how they may be trying to export their elitist, clandestine practices to Europe and...well I don't want to give it all away, I might end up being scalped! :eek:

8. Hair masons now thats funny
    and yes brianrost nailed it on the head
    they hair i didn't rip out fell out anyways

9. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Bump...

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you get a Windows computer all your hair will fall out. If you get a Mac your hair won't fall out.

11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Are you implying that Bill Gates is wearing a toupée?

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    ummm...Maybe. That was just my way of saying I like Macs and I don't like Windows.