1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Macbook Air to home theater system

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Aug 17, 2012.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hey Mac and audio guys, I need some help. I have been asked to DJ a wedding next weekend. I have a Macbook Air loaded with all the music we need, it has a USB out. I'm not positive what I will be plugging in to. The wedding is at someones house, and they have a whole house audio system that they sometimes connect their Windows laptop to. So I am assuming 1/4" jack or maybe RCA cables?

What are my options for adapters or connectors on the MBA? I saw a DJ adapter from M-Audio, but it didn't show me the outputs.

-Mike

2. I'd be willing to bet that if they're connecting their Windows laptop, it's from a usb out as well...or maybe a 3.5mm...

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Same thing I was thinking. I'm waiting to hear back from the homeowner to hear how he exactly connects his laptop.

Is there some kind of adapter for USB to 3.5mm while keeping the signal hot enough to power the sound system? Seeing how proprietary Apple can be, I don't want to assume it's as simple as a basic cable I can get from Radio Shack. Also, no recording necessary, only playing MP3's.

-Mike

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I looked a little closer to the fold out door where the USB port is, there is also a headphone jack there. Will that send a signal that is hot enough for a home theater system? A 3.5mm to RCA cable shouldn't be hard to find.

-Mike

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You're just sending semi-line level, just max your volume level, or close to it if / until you hear any distortion (you shouldn't about 3/4 the way or less...), and the home theater should be just fine with that. It's not ideal, but it'll get the job done.

6. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Find out what kind of system they have- new ones are DLNA compliant and many have Air Play, which allows streaming wirelessly to the preamp or receiver. The USB out will do nothing for you unless you use an M-Audio, Tascam or other USB device.

If the whole house system uses only analog inputs, your best bet is to use the USB device, although the headphone jack may provide good enough sound quality.