macbook pro and pro tools

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Feb 10, 2006.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    anyone have an inside track as to when digidesign is gonna have a patch for the new macbook pro. I know itll be eventual, cuz it almost seems as though the macbook pro was created for recording. I ordered one today thats supposed to be here late this month. Im just wondering how much longer my digi002 is gonna gather dust before i can use it.
  2. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    The word I heard was 14 weeks. Digi is kinda slow sometimes, expect bugs too.
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    no more chatter about this? I figured alot of people would be looking at these things as dream recording mac's. Thanks Droog for the reply, not what i wanted to hear but good to know. I guess ill try and use something else that will take use of my digi002 till pro tools gets up to speed. Any suggestions?
  4. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah, that was a couple weeks ago, so best case another 12 or so. I wouldn't hold your breath though... and I'm guessing that it will be pretty buggy until they get a few CS updates versions in past 7.1... that's been pretty much the typical Digidesign release pattern since I've been using it over the past 10 years (and the 2 previous processor transitions).
  5. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Why? There's really nothing about the Macbook Pro which sets it apart from any other laptop for recording purposes. The only design spec that trumps other Macs for recording is the availability of a 7200rpm hard drive, but there's no way I'd push a laptop drive to do any serious multitracking.

On top of that, this is gen 1 of a new platform on multiple levels. New OS, new CPU, new bus, etc. I can't imagine anything less suited for serious recording than the Macbook Pro. A year from now? Sure, I'm all over it.

DAW work is a different story, but even with the extra CPU power I can think of a few machines I'd take over it. Anything not locked at 32 bit, for starters. :)
  6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    maquared, what laptop would be your top choice for a daw?