Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by karrot-x, Jan 10, 2006.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
  2. Wow, that would really eat my Presario R3000 for breakfast. I would love an Apple laptop of any kind, but I think the Mac Mini is more in my price range... can't buy computers and bass gear at the same time, you know.
  3. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Excellent! Just another thing to provoke the dreaded G.A.S. I trust you too are a PowerBook user by your avatar, correct?
  4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Brother has a pb, girlfriend has a pb, best friend(s) have pb's; all because of me. I always recommend them but never had enough money.

Now I'm getting a macbook pro!
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow, that thing is sweet. I'll have to go check one out.

6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    but does it run counterstrike?

7. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Very nice. I want one! :D Although it is missing a few things compared to the old PowerPC Powerbooks...

The screen resolution is slightly lower compared to the old 15" PB.
    The DVD drive now only writes single-layer discs, and only at 4x.
    No more Firewire 800, only 400.
    Modem has gone.
    No word from Apple yet on battery life.

Most of this won't affect the majority of buyers, but it will irk some. I'll probably wait for the inevitable 17" version, or just buy the iMac. :D
  8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I dont know... notebooks and macs just arent for me. Am I the only one keeping my pants on for this thing? I'd just as soon (if not sooner) build something crazy. ...esp for 2-2.5k? :rolleyes:
  9. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    It's all about the software with Macs. The best consumer and pro-sumer OS available, with a suite of excellent pre-installed apps that blow anything Microsoft have for similar tasks out of the water. When I made the switch from PC to Mac, it kinda felt wrong for a little while... I worked out why. It's because I no longer have to fight the computer and OS to get it to do what I need it to do. As Apple are so fond of saying, "it just works".

Sure, you could build a super-GHz, mega-RAM, watercooled, neon-lit PC for that kind of money, but you're still stuck with Windows (or maybe Linux).
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I never have to fight my PC, the windows or linux boxes, it's all about set up IMO...

Anyway, that is is sweet looking notebook, and if the prices stay about there I will be picking one up myself. My ancient Dell is just getting too slow.
  11. True, but Linux (most distros anyhow) comes with a robust application suite out of the box as well. Plus the package management system...

FOR $2000.00!!!!

I'll pass.
  13. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    And, with OS X being Unix-based, you can get most of these apps for it (I use Mplayer as a media player as it supports more codecs than the likes of Quicktime and WMP, and I use Firefox, which is pretty much identical on all platforms). But there is nothing in any standard Linux distro to touch apps like iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto for power and ease of use. And I won't even get into the discussion about device drivers for Linux (I have done sysadmin work with Debian and grew to hate it because of nonexistent/buggy drivers).
  14. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Pardon me if I'm stressing the "Mac-o-phile" thing too much here... :D

I too had my PC set up very nicely, it looked slick, was virus and spyware-free and ran well. For a PC, it was about as slick as it got. This is why the Mac first felt weird... it was slicker out of the box than my PC had ever been, despite what I had put into it to make it better. There's no viruses or spyware for Mac, you plug things in and usually don't even have to install a driver, and if you want to get to the guts of it, you've got a full Unix shell there to play with.
  15. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Hmm...It's true, you are paying a double premium. One for portability, two for mac power. To me it's not an issue because in my line of work macs are the standard. I work with large hires files and need to be able to work efficiently.

If I were switching to mac and didn't need all that machine...I'd go with a iBook.

Anyways...I'm definitely getting one and I'm psyched.
  16. And it still can't play Half Life 2.

Better luck next time.
  17. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    This is why I also have an Xbox. :D
  18. To run it at a lower resolution with a lack of multiplayer modification functionality?

Is there something I'm missing?
  19. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Yes. I don't enjoy playing games on a computer. I'd rather play them on something designed for playing them, where things like graphic card drivers, patches and installation problems aren't an issue, and where I can just sit in front of my big-screen TV and do it.

But that's just me. :D