Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Machichi, what can you tell me about this wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bill h, Mar 17, 2006.

1. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I got some at a wood working store for $3 a BF. I have never worked it before, how does it work, sound, and stain out? Any and all help will be a big help, thanks....

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
  4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Bump, any one know anythign about this wood, worked with it????

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    In a few years of hanging around this forum, I've never heard mention of it. I would say Matt Schmill (fbb Basses), if anyone, would know something about it.

6. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I've started to work it, HARD!!! It wants to chip almost instead of cut on the planer. I will post a pic of if. Looks like a real tight grain with a red or brown color. It will be on the back of my bass.

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If it's the same as machiche, then I've seen it once at a lumber yard in Viena, VA. The stuff was buried in a pile of other stuff. As I recall it was plain looking and so I didn't spend much time looking at it.

Lonchocarpus is not mentioned in Lincoln. In Corkhill, he refers you to cabbage bark, starting you through a maze of "see alsos" that will lead you to peroba and tabebuia. Tabebuia is ipe, and I am inclined to guess that machiche is similar but not as dense as ipe: plain, dense, and tough. Woods around that $3 mark tend to end up as flooring and/or decking. In the country of origin these woods tend to end up in construction and in railroad crossties.

Web sources seem to confirm all this, although in my opinion it's a little brighter and prettier than ipe. It certainly appears to be less dense, though janka hardness is pretty high at about 2700. If it seems stable then it might make an excellent fingerboard.

Search for "machiche" instead of "machichi" on google and you will get lots of hits.

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Here is a pic of the Machichi, The 2nd pic is walnut to show the diff. BTW i wet it down with a rag to bring out the color, there is still glue and things on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]