1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Machine Head - Flats or Rounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JMacBass65, Jun 10, 2014.

1. I thought I knew -now I KNOW.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd suspect Rotosounds, as they were THE roundwound back then.

3. Interesting, that's what I used to think as well, but not after listening. I think they are Rotos - but RS77s.

4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    +1

In an interview, Roger Glover said he was using Roto 66's. He played a Ric 4001, and Rics back then had a .0047 cap in-line with the bridge pup. In around 1986, Ric removed that cap altogether. Newer Ric 4003's now have that cap back in, called the "Vintage Tone Circuit" via a push/pull pot on the bridge tone pot.

Remember, there are lots of other things going on like compression, etc., to get that sound.

Here he is during the recording, what could be better than a European B&B? (Breasts and Bagels)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  5. I dunno guys, sounds like flats to me. And when I slapped headphones on and played my Ric w/Roto 77s on it, along with the iso bass from highway star, sounds DAMN close.

And yes, I know there are many other factors, but there is something about how flats with a pick sound, vs. rounds, particularly when the tone controls are wide open.

6. Side note - was in a vintage shop in Falls Church VA today and they had the closest thing to Rogers bass - '73 4001, black, checkered binding, plexi truss cover, toaster in the 1/4" position, wavy grovers......all but the full width crushed MOP inlays. A bit over $3k......looked to be in great shape for its age. If my finances were a bit different, I'd have bought it right then and there!