Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

machinist for custom bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by marsk, Mar 12, 2003.

1. marsk

marsk

Aug 17, 2002
    If anyone out there knows of a machinist who has experience making custom bass bridges, I would appreciate the referal. I'm seeking to have made a brass bridge with unusually narrow string spacing and adjustable string height and intonation.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    David King (kingbass.com) machines his own bridges and hardware for his headless basses. I'm sure he could make you just what you want.

3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
  4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Ok, well, the 10-string looks to be go, but I need a bridge. I've e-mailed Darrin and David; Darrin no longer does custom bridges, and David said it would be around $1000. :(

So, the question is up again: are there any machinists out there who will make a custom 10-string bridge?

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i maybe able to...
    i built bmx parts...brass? does it have to be?
    aluminum is very easy to work with..and is cheaper...

get with me..
    moparpunk281@yahoo.com
    send a drawing or everything measured out

thanks
    steve

6. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Anybody have any ideas?

Steve, are you sure you can't do something with brass? Aluminum is pretty low-mass (I'm pretty sure that's why people use it to make bike parts - low weight).

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Hipshot uses aluminum and it sounds great. For what you are looking for, I'd say explore every viable option.

8. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Thanks, Matt. Now I just have to convince my luthier... ;)

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i could model it in 3D CAD if you want.

if the builder used MasterCam, its a slamdunk!

f

10. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    If only I knew what MasterCam was! (maybe the program for a CNC router?)

11. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    hmm... I may be able to help you. Please email me more details.

12. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Here's another bridge I made a few years ago...

13. find a tech highschool in ur area that has a machine shop, should only cost u the cost of metal, kids in my school have machine shop make kahler trem's for them for 20 bucks. i brought my trem down cause i needed part made and when i told them how rare they are, they asked if they could borrow it so they could make a file for the cnc machine.

14. Say i wanted to take some kind of a beefy Bigsby guitar bridge, ship it to a machinist, and have him convert it to a bass bridge, would that work?
    Cheers,
    Evan

P.S., I hope you don't mind my piggy-backing this thread

15. go to the nearist tech highschool that has a machine shop. my school has two cnc machine's, and 10 mill's, pluse 3 mills that kinda work like a cnc machine. tech highschools will do wat u want for alittle above cost.

16. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    Is the string spacing so narrow that individual string bridges are out of the question?

DAve P.

17. The idea of going to a Tech High School is wonderful... and ironically, I found out what a tech high school was a few days ago, talking to a friend of my here in Brooklyn. Unfortunately, in Minnesota, where this bass is going to be built, there is no such thing as a tech high school to speak of. The only "specialty" high schools are art high schools... everyone else simply goes to the same place. Possibly something to do with the vast number of students other states have to deal with creates the need for different high schools.
    I chose the idea of a Bigsby for the look. I figured that because that is set up for 6 strings, and to my knowledge, Bigsby doesn't offer a 4 string bridge, I would simply have to ship it out to this machinist friend of mine. He may also do it for a little over cost. "I-Know-You" discounts are one of the greatest things ever... especially for a freshman college student! I'm not sure about the idea of single-string bridges... I mean, the idea is cool, and I really like Gibson's new digital single string bridges (i don't know if any of you have seen those, if not check them out!) I'm just a sucker for the overly metallic Bigsby style. They have this quaint 1950's sort of look to them.
    Do you think that the rest of the bridge would be able to support the stress of bass strings, when it has been engineered in general for a guitar?

18. Aren

Aren

Jul 18, 2003
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Are you still looking? I have a friend who is a machinist/musician. The guy is really good(been machining for about 15 years). We tore apart a Kubiki bridge one night at work and layed out plans to build our own modeled after that one. I quit working there but am still in regular contact with the guy. Let me know if you want me to put you in contact with him. Im sure he would give you an excellent deal.

19. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Aren, I e-mailed you. Haven't heard back. RobbieK, ditto.

20. do you think i can get one of these "tech" highschool to build me a bass trem for under 50 dollars?